300 tdi problems

craig

hi i have just got an n reg 300tdi disco, when cold it very reluctant to start but will eventually but with lots of smoke and wont rev properly, very slow to rev, once it warm it seems ok but not 100%, i got new glow plugs to fit but cant see that affecting the revs.

anyone had this problem? any ideas?

cheers

craig

hi i have just got an n reg 300tdi disco, when cold it very reluctant to start but will eventually but with lots of smoke and wont rev properly, very slow to rev, once it warm it seems ok but not 100%, i got new glow plugs to fit but cant see that affecting the revs.

anyone had this problem? any ideas?

cheers

craig

Sounds like mine in real cold weather with no pre-heat.

Normally at home in winter I use the preheater but on occasions when I've had to rush out at short notice, in temps from +2 to -5, sort of thing, wait for the glows, turn over, it takes several rotations to fire, then it grumbles a bit, doesn't want to rev, and has no pull, as you say, at least until the turbo starts to blow. Once it's warmed up it's good as gold.

In the mountains at new year we had -12 indicated and no-where to attach the preheater, I waited for the glows, turned the key and... nothing. Turning over fine but no way it wants to fire. Start over, wait for the glows again, starter... more of the same. This time I feed in a hit of right foot and it eventaully splutters into live. But until it's warmed up, it won't rev over 1000 and won't pull the skin off a pudding. Once warm, again, good as gold.

In summer, or when already warm, no sign of similar behaviour, so I just put it down to the lump not being fond of cold mornings.

And who would blame it!

to check your injectors, start the engine and one injector at a time loosen the nut that holds the fuel feed so that it allows the fuel to escape - probably require about half a turn max - retightening after. when you find one that doesn't affect the misfire/lumpyness that is your duff injector.

If its bosch injectors I have a spare one.

I'm having exactly same with my p-plated 300tdi.

sluggish as hell to fire, clouds of pale smoke on fire up, gutless until hot and then not anything to speak of.

ive changed lift pump, which was a pig cos injector pipes formed for lr genuine, pattern part different shape and doesnt come with new nuts or 8mm brass olives! (lucky im a plumber!)and blanked off egr with steel plate, but the truck is still carp.

waiting to hear your experience and if it gets fixed!! gonna check my fuel sedimenter and filter and turbo sticky lever wotsit thing tomoz.

oh yes boyo. isnt it.

(im welsh but was kidnapped by the cornish maid army!)

Guys

timing is critical for cold start especially if it is very cold as in the last few weeks in Europe.

I can think of a couple of pointers:

1. On EGR valve equipped cars, pump lift must be exactly 1.40mm at TDC (No.1 cyl!)

2. On EGR-blanked off cars pump lift must be 1.54mm at TDC (No1 cyl!)

3. Fuel quality i.e. when last was vehicle filled up, if in summer or autumn, you will have major problems starting it in sub-zero temps.

4. Fuel flow restrictions - Filters!

5. Condition of battery. If it is not fully charged the cranking speed will be reduced and you will struggle to start the motor.

6. There is an adaptor available that fits between diesel filter block and filter with a heating contraption inside. This will preheat the diesel allowing it to flow freely and presto easy starting in winter. Communicate with fellow LR fans in Scandinavia they will be able to give you all the low-downs.

Good luck and greetings from South Africa

George1

Disco 300Tdi ES