Stupid TV ads

Tufty

Have you noticed the proliferation of stupid TV ads for 4x4s? The fairly recent Mitsublingi ads were precisely what greenlaners didn't want flashing across our screens, with the gung-ho image they promoted (without even mentioning how laughable it was to suggest you'd actually want to cross any serious terrain with one of those overdressed christmas tree style tart's handbags), and latterly, the Nissan (hut) Navara 'It gets respect' nonsense. Oh great, more macho BS. When are these advertising people going to realise that they'll actually damage sales for all 4x4 manufacturers in the long term with the current political climate being as it is, with the antis getting ever more rabid and illogical (and, unfortunately, listened to)? And as for respect for the hideous thing, I'd suggest laughs would be more likely!

So you are not a fan then?

...Of Japanese 4x4s? I own a Land Rover Ninety V8 - Jap stuff gives me something to laugh at, on trails, green lanes, in the snow, at the lights and especially at off road playdays, so yes, I'm a fan - as long as I don't have to drive or own one!

...Of Japanese 4x4s? I own a Land Rover Ninety V8 - Jap stuff gives me something to laugh at, on trails, green lanes, in the snow, at the lights and especially at off road playdays, so yes, I'm a fan - as long as I don't have to drive or own one!

Ahh this old chestnut! :rolleyes:

Right lets get one fact straight away - I am a Land Rover Fan, own multiples of them, I truely enjoy the old Leafers (got a S1 x 2, S2a and a S3) and in the process of building a RR for winch events.

Its horses for courses...

Yes, 90's are good out the box for some rough action, but they not refined, cramped and plagued with reliability issues.

I own a Nissan Navara outlaw, Ive had it since brand new, its done 125000 hard miles in less than three years, it tows beyond belief, always returns 30mpg, happy to sit at or above the legal limit, total comfort, massive load lugger, 6 disc changer, climate control etc etc and has NEVER broken down. It just has new oils and brakes when required - thats it, not many LR can say that, and its not unusal for other "Jap carp" to be like this. I could never use a Land Rover for the miles I do, I would lose my job!

Yes, my pickup would never make a trialer, green laner or playday machine but your LR90 would not make the road cruiser, economical (relativley) reliable towing machine that the navara is. Its not a broad brush thing, its horses for courses!

That said, it has a hard life, if not running on the motorways, its towing trailers and trialers, and people who know me will be the first to admit it gets some hammer.

Not having a dig, but you do have to admit that Jap engineering is usually better than LR's, the instant writing off of a non Land Rover vehicle is wrong, its akin to a quote off the film yellow cake (seamless link to another LR product :huh: ) "The police are not stupid, its only really stupid people who think that" - not exactly word for word but similar.

Going back to the topic off this thread, you are so right, the images being portrayed are not doing us any good at all.

guys - - it doesn't matter what the ads portray, all 4x4's are going to be screwed over in this country. People have pretty much made there minds up - end of. Move country, and play properly - like in NZ or USA..

Ahh this old chestnut! :rolleyes:

Right lets get one fact straight away - I am a Land Rover Fan, own multiples of them, I truely enjoy the old Leafers (got a S1 x 2, S2a and a S3) and in the process of building a RR for winch events.

Its horses for courses...

Yes, 90's are good out the box for some rough action, but they not refined, cramped and plagued with reliability issues.

I own a Nissan Navara outlaw, Ive had it since brand new, its done 125000 hard miles in less than three years, it tows beyond belief, always returns 30mpg, happy to sit at or above the legal limit, total comfort, massive load lugger, 6 disc changer, climate control etc etc and has NEVER broken down. It just has new oils and brakes when required - thats it, not many LR can say that, and its not unusal for other "Jap carp" to be like this. I could never use a Land Rover for the miles I do, I would lose my job!

Yes, my pickup would never make a trialer, green laner or playday machine but your LR90 would not make the road cruiser, economical (relativley) reliable towing machine that the navara is. Its not a broad brush thing, its horses for courses!

That said, it has a hard life, if not running on the motorways, its towing trailers and trialers, and people who know me will be the first to admit it gets some hammer.

Not having a dig, but you do have to admit that Jap engineering is usually better than LR's, the instant writing off of a non Land Rover vehicle is wrong, its akin to a quote off the film yellow cake (seamless link to another LR product :huh: ) "The police are not stupid, its only really stupid people who think that" - not exactly word for word but similar.

Going back to the topic off this thread, you are so right, the images being portrayed are not doing us any good at all.

I own a Nissan Navara outlaw

Ah, THIS old chestnut! (You roll your eyes, I pick them up and roll them back) Yes, they are reliable things, the Jap trucks, but then so is the average fridge or freezer... but who really loves their fridge? At least you have the older one which looks ok, not the new thing that looks as if it's had a shunt before it turns a wheel! (What WERE they thinking?) And congratulations on not being a bigot like me - it's SO limiting! My 1986 Ninety's not exactly as it came out of the box - it's acquired a V8 and auto, which makes it surprisingly refined - quiet, with a lovely deep authoritative rumble in the background and no rattles, a set of bigger tyres and a few other things. I don't find it cramped, even though I'm over six feet tall and big with it, although I have altered the bulkhead to allow more rearward seat travel. It cruises at and above the legal limit and has NEVER broken down - sound familiar? It doesn't even leak badly! Admittedly I've only done about 40,000 miles in it, although it has covered rather a lot more than that in its life. I find the seats more comfortable than those in my Ford Mundano and the ride superior as well. It has no draughts and the heater works well. I think that's part of the appeal - they're easy to alter to suit one's needs. I really don't understand why people say a ninety can't 'do' roads - I find it more than acceptable and used it as my sole transport for the biggest part of a year when my old mundano conked out. Same, I suppose, as those who say a Nissan Navara can't 'do' off road - (I didn't; I suggested they're not much cop for serious stuff) I remember one doing rather well at Hartington quarry and another at Trentham: I reckon driver ability, traction control and tyres count for a heck of a lot until articulation comes into it. I'd just hate anyone to get the idea that you NEED a Jap truck if you want it to ba capable of hard work with reliability and comfort.

But yes, the main point was the attitude of the ads and the damage they could be doing to all of our 4x4 activities. Animal? Warrior? Outlaw? The thud you just heard was the sound of me resting my case.

But at the end of the day we have to stand together, whether we drive Japanese city slickers, mucky Land Rovers or Yank tanks. (Which I quite like - yes, I know I probably need professional help)

I do!.... its an original 1950's American Frigidaire (cherry Red) but i am sad as you all know!

Ah, but that's no ordinary fridge! That's a fridge with character and personality, that is.

guys - - it doesn't matter what the ads portray, all 4x4's are going to be screwed over in this country. People have pretty much made there minds up - end of. Move country, and play properly

Very true, although over this bank holiday weekend, I noticed just how big the average caravan is getting ( lots of them on the road going for a short break) and a lot of them were using a 4x4 to tow, lets hope the caravaners keep buying them as well - helps our cause, and more bits to pick at in the breakers!

(I didn't; I suggested they're not much cop for serious stuff)

To be honest, they are not (although the engine will eventually find itself in some LR based off roader).

My 1986 Ninety's not exactly as it came out of the box - it's acquired a V8 and auto, which makes it surprisingly refined - quiet, with a lovely deep authoritative rumble in the background and no rattles, a set of bigger tyres and a few other things

I admire your level of modification - I do have for sale a V8 Janspeed turbo if you want to take it to the next level!

And congratulations on not being a bigot like me - it's SO limiting!

And expensive! The RR is getting G wagon axles, very strong and diff locked, I bought the car for less than you can buy 1 arb for!

I did see one very damaging piece of "Jap carp" today, some tosser in a Suzi SJ coming out of a greenlane, spinning the mud off on a major A road, nearly losing it in the process. Fortunatley, the electric windows of the Navara gave me time to give a number of external hand signals!

(just had to mention the leccy bit :ph34r: )

When are these advertising people going to realise that they'll actually damage sales for all 4x4 manufacturers in the long term with the current political climate being as it is, with the antis getting ever more rabid and illogical (and, unfortunately, listened to)?

advertisers and marketing people are interesting in getting the best retun for the shareholders and profits for the fat cat directors. Since when have they, or any member of the human race* been concerned about the living conditions for the next generation or the one after that? It is all about the generation that is living and let the ones following sort out the mess, otherwise the human race woulve have stopped as soon a rocks were being used as tools.

* some exception are those who will make profit from selling green and environmentally friendly articles - are toyota piruses free? I doubt toyota would sell them if no money was to be made from them.

I do have for sale a V8 Janspeed turbo if you want to take it to the next level!

(just had to mention the leccy bit :ph34r: )

I think a turbo's going a bit far for the level of suspension mods I'm prepared to pay out for! (And I bet I couldn't afford it anyway!) And as for leccy windows, I wish I had some, as the only time I find my ninety cramped is when I'm working the quaint windey-windey thing! It is at least fairly high geared so it opens the window quickly when some idiot needs, er, 'instruction'. Unfortunately I have the old type doors with the series-type lift up handles which I understand won't take a leccy window conversion - or is that central locking? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.