burning smell

negativepitch

I know this is a complete stab in the dark,

I can smell since this morning, a very acrid burning type of smell around the frot grill area on my 06 3 door freelander TD4,

but can see anyhting...to be honest Im not up on any mechanics on cars,

does anyone have any guesses on what it might be. it smells a bit like rubber or plastic burning, it doesnt seem to be coming from the main engine but around the front of the grill,

cheers for any feedback,

steve.

Isn't that where the webasto heater is fitted to diesel freelanders, behind the bumper? If so the exhaust may have come adrift.

ok...this is an even more stupid question...remebering what I said about not knowing anything...

when you first start the engine, is the cooling fan behind the radiator supposed to start straight off, or does it come on when its hot etc...as the fan isnt going when I start the car,

cheers again

ok...this is an even more stupid question...remebering what I said about not knowing anything...

when you first start the engine, is the cooling fan behind the radiator supposed to start straight off, or does it come on when its hot etc...as the fan isnt going when I start the car,

cheers again

No the fan only comes on when the car is hot. It is thermostatically controlled.

• 2 weeks later...

are you having trouble with your gears? or the clutch pedal?

it could be the clutch burning out.

another poss is your coolant. if theres nothing in it, then your engine can overheat and a burning smell coming from the rad area

I know this is a complete stab in the dark,

I can smell since this morning, a very acrid burning type of smell around the frot grill area on my 06 3 door freelander TD4,

but can see anyhting...to be honest Im not up on any mechanics on cars,

does anyone have any guesses on what it might be. it smells a bit like rubber or plastic burning, it doesnt seem to be coming from the main engine but around the front of the grill,

cheers for any feedback,

steve.

My good ladys's Freelander was doing exactly the same last week. Burning rubber smell coming from front of car, noticable mostly whilst stopping in traffic. Was being caused by offside brake caliper piston binding. After a drive compare the heat coming from front wheels, if one is radiating heat or wheel hot to touch, then its that.

• 2 weeks later...

twas the clutch burning out...which also took the flywheel with it...OH THE JOY !! :blink:

If it only happens after hard braking then it's just the brakes getting hot, they do that (I've cooked mine quite a few times). If it's all the time, or one side is much hotter than the other, then they're binding.