upgrade brakes on 300tdi defender

hi

landy has just passed MOT brakes are good, however i want to upgrade the braking system on my 1996 300tdi defender which is used for offroad and on road

i have been told to go for vented discs on the front and rear, is this ok for offroading?

if i go vented, do i have to also change the brake calipers?

what are the part numbers for the vented front and rear discs?

any other suggestions for the brakes?

many thanks

Ivan

just to let you know I have just ordered new calipers for my LR, same model and year, and with new pads as well the bill comes to 350, (same amount for new ones as trading in old ones for reconditioned), so if you don;t need to change the calipers then all the better! Olivia

110's have vented fronts as standard, so fitting those is a reasonable first step, you will need a pair of calipers though as the disks are wider. 110 rears arent vented but the disks are slightly thicker and slightly larger.

What exactly are you wanting to achieve from the "upgrade"?

Fitting vented disks wont let you stop any quicker or make the brakes perform any better, all they will do is allow for better cooling of the disk, so when your working the brakes hard they wont overheat as quickly.

I'd recommend giving the system an overhaul, new stainless braided lines, new fluid, and good quality pads will probably make a lot of difference if your existing setup is a bit tired.

Hi

I'd look at whats wrong with your brakes first? A defender with standard discs all round should stop like its hit a brick wall! As above the vented discs are only an upgrade if you run into cooling probs eg lots of heavy towing in a hilly area...

Stainless hoses are a good idea as they are fit and forget

Mike

many thanks for all the replys

my 90 was a complete rebuild which i carried out myself and has stainless steel brake hoses, all new pipe pipes, good brake pads, and i think she stops good

she past the MOT the other night and the MOT chap said the brakes where a bit ropey but didnt fail the 90

i was comparing the stopping against my Disco 2 Auto and my A6 Auto

I was just checking to see if there was an upgrade but clearly i see i have nothing to worry about (need to stop being a Perfectionist) and YOU ALL have saved me a shed load of money and work

thanks

Plus a defender on larger than standard tyres the brakes on the MOT rolling road are not good

the rears are especially bad.

the brakes work fine but the grip n the rollers overcomes the brakes.

Mine stops fine on the road but the MOT rollers it just about makes the grade

I asked them to use the decellerometer<sp> this time which showed the brakes are ok

Plus a defender on larger than standard tyres the brakes on the MOT rolling road are not good

the rears are especially bad.

the brakes work fine but the grip n the rollers overcomes the brakes.

Mine stops fine on the road but the MOT rollers it just about makes the grade

I asked them to use the decellerometer<sp> this time which showed the brakes are ok

white 90

this is what happened on the MOT rolling road with rear brakes, i run with insa turbos 285x75x16 on 8" rims with 30mm spacers

and the wheels kept jumping out of the rollers, in fact 4 times

anyway mystery solved

never heard of the decellerometer????