chassis advice needed

PITBULL

im looking at getting a richards chassis and building a 110 200tdi auto my question is if im fitting a auto to a 200tdi what chassis do i get am i right in thinking i will need a 300tdi chassis as the engine sits further forwards then a 200tdi so will be in the right position to fit a auto to a 200 without having to drill more holes in new chassis

thanks

phoned richards chassis today not sure the woman i spoke to knew what a land rover was let alone the info i need :o

it was hard enough getting info for a custom chassis after that i couldnt be bothered asking anything else :unsure:

i am planing on having a custom chassis made but im sure ive read (on here) that to fit a auto to a 200tdi defender you can move the engine forward to a 300tdi defender position? and a auto will fit on a 300tdi defender without any chassis mods? could be wrong thou :P

I can confirm that an auto will go behind a 300 Tdi without modding the chassis.

The engine mounts on a 300 are in a different place to those on a 200 so your 200 engine wont drop straight in to a 300 chassis.

There are/were 200 auto Disco's, have a look at one and see if the engine is in the same place as a manual? I would have thought it would be, in which case you wont need a custom chassis.

I can confirm that an auto will go behind a 300 Tdi without modding the chassis.

The engine mounts on a 300 are in a different place to those on a 200 so your 200 engine wont drop straight in to a 300 chassis.

There are/were 200 auto Disco's, have a look at one and see if the engine is in the same place as a manual? I would have thought it would be, in which case you wont need a custom chassis.

thanks for that, but i have read that a 300tdi defender sit further forward due to gearbox being longer (by about 5inches if i remember correctly) so is a LT77 defender gearbox shorter then a r380 which is the same size as a auto? which would make a 200tdi auto fit in a 300tdi chassis? i think i will give them a ring again tomorrow and see if i can speak to the guy :huh:

i'm building a 200 tdi auto, i've got a disco 200 tdi auto as a donor. I'm gonna move the mounts back to get the engine as far back as poss and swap the props round. i thing you can go back 4-5"?

the gear selector should then be between the front seats

i'm building a 200 tdi auto, i've got a disco 200 tdi auto as a donor. I'm gonna move the mounts back to get the engine as far back as poss and swap the props round. i thing you can go back 4-5"?

The gear selector should then be between the front seats.

You can put the gear selector pretty much anywhere within reason as it is on a flexible cable. The hi-lo shifter is however more of a concern as it is fixed to the gearbox.

I put my 200 in the 300 position (in a 90) to keep props the same length and avoid a really short rear prop.

This does pose its own challenges as the turbo is then very close to the shock turret and you have to find a home for the air filter. However, having said all that, I did it, so anyone can!

Oh, and mine is for sale too if you want one ready made!