propshaft rubber donut

mudmagnet

i fitted a new rubber donut (bearmach) to my 300 tdi disco 2 months ago and now it has started to split and distort

should i change to the 200tdi uj type prop

my car has a small lift of about 1 inch

surely the donut should last longer than that ive only done about 200 miles since fitting

It should last longer that that.

If you change the propshat you will also have to replace the drive flange on the diff.. they will swap over. Not a difficult job but you may need a socket with a very long bar to give you the leverage / power to remove the nut on the diff. Or access to an Air gun. I did work up a sweat when changing a friends.

i fitted a new rubber donut (bearmach) to my 300 tdi disco 2 months ago and now it has started to split and distort

should i change to the 200tdi uj type prop

my car has a small lift of about 1 inch

surely the donut should last longer than that ive only done about 200 miles since fitting

Take it off and take it back where you got it from for an exchange under warranty etc . Genuine ones will last for ages even with lift of a couple of inches. Usually Bearmach stuff is okay, but definitely take it back and get a new one.

Keith

It should last longer that that.

If you change the propshat you will also have to replace the drive flange on the diff.. they will swap over. Not a difficult job but you may need a socket with a very long bar to give you the leverage / power to remove the nut on the diff. Or access to an Air gun. I did work up a sweat when changing a friends.

Unofficial way of undoing nut.

This is how I did it

Remove propshaft

Engage Diff-lock

Work out which way nut needs to turn and put socket on bar against chassis on correct side (can't remember which side of the chassis each one goes!)

select low range and ease vehicle forward or backwards (can't remember that either)

Hey presto, nut comes undone

It does take some working out before hand though, both front and back are normal right-hand threads.

BE CAREFUL!!!!

I accept no responsability, just letting you know how I did them when they wouldn't come undone any other way

Andy

it should do, when the car rolls it will turn the output flange and if the nut is attached to a socket and bar against the chassis the it won't turn hence undoing it. i just got my lad to hold the brakes whilst i pushed a ratchet with my foot to turn it.