V8i Oil Leak at Head Gasket

Davewillb

Hi,

I've replaced both the rocker cover gaskets and the valley gasket in an effort to cure a bad oil leak on my V8 and now cleaned a lot of the accumulated crud of the engine which had accumulated due to the leak - after leaving the engine for a few days I noticed this oil weeping apparently at the head gasket:-

leak.jpg

This is without the engine having been run - its on its way in to my 90.

Have I got a problem? - should I relace the head gasket while the engine is stripped of the periferal stuff? - I don't really want to if I can avoid it as I'm not very familar with V8's and it was running well apart from the leak.

Thanks,

Dave (Newbie).

Well you are not alone... I have just put a 2nd hand V8 in my RRC and noticed exactly the same thing :(

I haven't noticed people talking about oil leaks from this sort of area, just about anywhere else though!

Are you going to wait and see with yous?

Dave

Well all other Land Rover engines I have had have been so covered with oil from the rocker cover(s) that you couldn't see anything like this - it's only because I pressure washed it before installation that I noticed it - for the moment I will monitor the situation...

I think that mine is marginally less than yours - although I haven't looked for a couple of days - I'll have a check tonight and perhaps get a photo for comparison..

Well all other Land Rover engines I have had have been so covered with oil from the rocker cover(s) that you couldn't see anything like this - it's only because I pressure washed it before installation that I noticed it - for the moment I will monitor the situation...

I think that mine is marginally less than yours - although I haven't looked for a couple of days - I'll have a check tonight and perhaps get a photo for comparison..

I pressure washed mine to and did wonder if it was possibly the run-off from that sort of after the event, I think I'm going to leave it rather than start taking the head off...be interesting to see a pic ..

Mine looks like that too, I think oil from elsewhere wicks along the joint, possibly even just the overspill from the filler cap.

Mine hasn't even been running since it was cleaned up a few weeks ago and I did the Valley gasket but I'm wondering if I blew some oil in when I pressure washed it.... time will tell!

...be interesting to see a pic ..

Here's the pic:

gallery_3439_704_80609.jpg

It has definitely got worse since running it. It is a leak and not just something left after cleaning I think.

Roger

Here's the pic:

gallery_3439_704_80609.jpg

It has definitely got worse since running it. It is a leak and not just something left after cleaning I think.

Roger

It looks very similar doesn't it, lets hope its just a weep and just spoils the nice clean look a bit and nothing worse.

Dave

The area where the leak is coming from is a gallery down the side of No1 cylinder (there is one at each end).

This morning I remembered that when I was thinking of replacing the head gaskets on my old V8, I looked at some head gaskets on the web and it appears that some (like these) have a seal around this gallery and the originals appear not to (hopefully somebody will confirm or correct this?). From this I assumed that there was a potential problem in this area. Either way I think that a small leak in this area is not indicative of a more significant head-gasket failure. Watch this space ;)