Replacing the uj's

Hi there it's me again!! I'm going to replace my uj's on both front and rear prop I was wondering is there any alignment I should be aware when I putting them back on? And I notice on my front prop that I can see nearly 1inch of the splines! But it's not seized it looks that the dust cap had just come off and moves backwards! Is that fixable it's dry as well!

Thanks

thierry

The only alligning I do is to make sure that when installing the UJ's that the grease nipples point in the same direction so that its easier to re-grease them another day when on the truck.

And that dust cap thing often happens (on my front prop too) just slide it back on and grease both props up too making sure they slide easily. But dont take them out all the way else they're a bugger to re-align.

thanks a lot for the advice. what do you mean that the 2 grease nipple pointing in the same direction? i'm going to change both uj's on both prop front and rear. so when putting the new one's on a prop both grease nipple should be pointing in the same direction at both end of the prop!!! did i get that right or am i mis understanding something?

thanks

thierry

thanks a lot for the advice. what do you mean that the 2 grease nipple pointing in the same direction? i'm going to change both uj's on both prop front and rear. so when putting the new one's on a prop both grease nipple should be pointing in the same direction at both end of the prop!!! did i get that right or am i mis understanding something?

thanks

thierry

Its only a little thing but it does make life a little easier I found. :D

Two answer your question the only alignment / balance you have to worry about is not to pull the prop apart (the splines you mention on the front prop). If you do and do not re-align the splines correctly you may create a balance problem. The prop is balanced (small weight tacked to the prop along its body) Replace the UJ’s with the prop in one piece.

If you have not done this before, a tip when fitting the new UJ’s is to push the first cap and UJ cross deep into the flange (further than needed for the fit) so that you can get the other cap onto the UJ’s cross which helps keep the needle rollers in place when you start to push is back into place.

Hope this helps.

Mark