14CUX Unidentified "Custom Chip"

schaafman

Dear All,

I recently bought a fairly low mileage 3.9 EFi engine, gearbox and ECU. Upon opening-up the ECU i saw that the traditional Lucas chip housing had been removed and a rather alien chip had replaced it. Can anyone identify this for me? Please see attached file.

Kindest Regards

James

post-19034-127482777345_thumb.jpg

Evo Star-chip eh? just googles them and found their product list, these cost £599?! i bought the engine, box and electrics for only £100! good buy I say! What sort of BHP increase are they expected to do? also does anyone have any other knowledge/comments on these chips?

James

If your engine has catalysts & Lambdas then there will be no difference up to 3/4 throttle as the feedback loop to the ECU will ensure only the optimum (pre-set fuel map) amount of fuel is fed through the engine. After 3/4 throttle I guess it might pump excessive amounts of fuel into the engine and result in a few extra BHP but without the usual engine performance tweaks (camshaft, porting etc.) on a std' engine at best i would guess 5HP?

My current engine and my new(er) one both a pre-cat and so don't have Lambda's or a tune resistor. RPi will be refurbishing the engine next week, high lift cam, vernier pulley, stage 2 heads.

James

Has the tune resistor in the loom been changed ?

Nige

My current engine and my new(er) one both a pre-cat and so don't have Lambda's or a tune resistor. RPi will be refurbishing the engine next week, high lift cam, vernier pulley, stage 2 heads.

James

never mind ensure they give you a good warranty print out because you will need it!

you have to have a tune resister so the ecu knows to look to see if lambdas are fitted or not also the world market fuel spec too