Brake Warning Light

Hi All. I have searched the forum for this topic, but not managed to find a definitive answer.

The brake warning light on my defender has flickered a couple of times during the last 30 or 40 miles. It seems to be when I am braking quite firmly, and going down hill. The light is the one which looks like (!) and says BRAKE underneath. Is this light only triggered by the float switch on the fluid reservoir? I have checked the float switch, and it seems to be working ok, and the fluid level is also fine. The brakes feel fine, and it has just passed its MOT without any problems. The fluid level is slightly below the MAX level, so I shall top it up tomorrow. Is there anything else which would trigger the light to come on? The vehicle is a 1992 200tdi, with drums on the rear.

Many thanks.

I'm fairly sure I dont have a handbrake light on my defender, it's never come on, and I can't see a switch on the lever. Would it not be a different light anyway? The light which has flickered is the one above the trailer one.

DSC00716-Copy.jpg

Thanks.

I had this on my 110 - only under very hard braking. There is no handbrake light (no switch fitted) or float switch in the resovoir that i could see - the fluid level was fine in any case. I had a thorough investigation and found a very slight weep from one rear brake cylinder. Replaced both rear cylinders and the light never came on again. My light was activated by the PDWA valve on the bulkhead picking up the disproportionate braking due to the slight weep from the back end. This leak was really hard to find though, so it might not be obvious at all.