Gearbox Types??

Gozling2

Hi Guys,

This may seem like a silly question but :blink: , How can you tell the 2 gearboxes apart, what are the differences to look for visually :unsure:, and which engines do they match up with???, hope someone can assist,

Regards

Goz :D:D:D

LT77 will have reverse on your far left forwards whilst R380 will have it on the right down nearest to you. Lt77 is the earlier box used in the 200tdi whilst the R380 came from 1994 ish and the 300tdi onwards. Hope this helps.

Ryck

LT77 will have reverse on your far left forwards whilst R380 will have it on the right down nearest to you. Lt77 is the earlier box used in the 200tdi whilst the R380 came from 1994 ish and the 300tdi onwards. Hope this helps.

Ryck

Thanks for the reply Ryck that clarify's all :D ,

As for those other 2 reprabates Andy and Niamh, go straight to bed without any beer, you are very NAUGHTY ;):blink::blink:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Goz :D:D:D

Glad to hear that clarified things for you - I trust my gold star will be in the post ;)

@ Andy, I bet that was a good laugh. My LT77 sits in 1st and 2nd as I took out the anligning plate in the top of the gearbox. Was very amusing when dad last drove and went for first at the lights only to find reverse and scare the **** out of the chap behind :)

They are interchangeable in the sense that you can run either a 200tdi or 300tdi with either box. However I think that you do need different bell housings due to the different lengths of the boxes and respective engines. Not 100% sure but Im sure someone will know more.

Cheers

I forgot to say, if the cover falls off a LT77 looks like this

PICT0106.jpg

Dunno why people thought I was odd to rebuild it in the road like that??

You know a bit about gearboxes!.....Mine fell to bits and it looked like this ! What was I driving!

post-23882-127575103216_thumb.jpg

Eww that's messy!

I knew nothing about gearboxes before opening that LT77. I figured that as it didn't have 1st, 5th or reverse I couldn't make it any worse by looking. Turned out to be a collapsed bearing meaning the mainshaft could move so far out of line it was jamming the selectors.

As to fitting different boxes, I swopped a LT77 for a R380 without changing anything else. Just unbolted one & bolted the other one in. If I remember right one or two studs on the back of a 200Tdi don't fit the R380 so I just left them out & never had an issue. At least I don't recall changing anything. Possible the bellhousings needed swopping but it was about 5 years ago now.

The boxes are sort of interchangeable, but not.

You can have a Range Rover V8 with an LT77 or an R380, and if you swap the entire thing (box & bellhousing) it should be a nuts & bolts job.

However, where you hit differences are:

- Different engines (even different years/sizes for V8's) can have different clutch, bellhousing, input shaft. Sometimes it's things that don't matter, sometimes it's not.

- R380 box is longer so the associated bellhousing is shorter for the same application, usually.

- Both boxes are non-easily-interchangeable between RR/Disco and Defender because the gearshift mechanism for the Defender is a foot further forwards, and tied to the type of tailcasting of the gearbox.

As an example, I have a Defender-style R380 with RR Classic V8 ratios & front end, with an RRC V8 LT77 clutch, on a 4.6 V8 but with a 3.5 flywheel, and I'm fairly sure the slave cylinder is TD5 :ph34r: