snapped cam belt

defender dave

hi everyone can you help my friend has snapped the belt on his 200 disco .so we have replaced all the push rods locked all the everything in the right place and fitted a new belt so we tried to start it before fitting the timing case back on.but it turns over slow like its out on the timing so we have turned the engine over on the crank and all the timing marks line up perfect .that is were we are at the moment. is there anything you can suggest we try or have missed many thanks.

thanks for the replay so dose that mean that with the key way lined up with arrow it can still be out. also we have taken the inlet man of and when you turn it over smoke comes out of the inlet ?? but all the timing marks line up perfect. oh we have taken the had off and all the valves bores pistons are fine .we have put it all back together now .still turning over the same tho

yeh your right Les but a friend convinced me there was a timing chain behind the timing case and i have never taken the hole timing case off. so thanks for that as you saved me more work. can you suggest anything we can try as we are running out of things to try many thanks .

Is it possible that the problem you are seeing now could cause the timing belt to go in 1st place?..

What age was the timing belt?..was it OEM?..

if your sure it went through age \ lack of changing?...then fine...

but if the cam is not turning freely\sluggish???? could it have caused the belt to strip? Is it snapped or stripped?

maybe far fetched but ive lost a rover 2300 engine this way where the head started seizing and stripped the belt....which became apparent when the head was refurbed :(

Rich