Tyre Pressures

Hi, quick question (I hope!) on tyre pressures. My 110 has BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A 265/75's. Last owner had them at 35psi all round, but I've adjusted them to 28 front 48 rear as per handbook - am I right?

Thanks

Richard

Hi, quick question (I hope!) on tyre pressures. My 110 has BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A 265/75's. Last owner had them at 35psi all round, but I've adjusted them to 28 front 48 rear as per handbook - am I right?

Richard, on my previous 110 and now my 90 I run the following on my BFG ATs:

Tar

Unladen, F/R: 2.3/2.5

Normal load, F/R: 2.5/2.7

Heavily loaded (with RTT, awning, jerrycan, 2nd spare wheel, loaded fridge, camping gear, etc): 2.5/3.0

Pressure must be set when cold, pref in the morning. I usually set the front first, then the back, and if need it, pump the back such that the 'bulge' on the tyre looks the same all around.

When leaving tar for gravel/dirt roads, measure current pressure and then halve. When returning to tar, measure current pressure and double.

I use the "chalk" method to set tyre pressures on my 110 station wagon.

That came out at 30 front 34 rear.

Now I also load my Defender. I might take the backs up to 36 but that's all. 3.400kg is not uncommon on a trip. Ambient temperatures up to 45Deg C

As for wear. I removed my tyres after 38,000 miles to find each tyre had 4.5 to 5 mm across the tread.

I *believe* you draw a chalk line across the tread, set your pressure and go for a drive.

If the middle of the line wears off first then the tyres are too heavily inflated and are bulging out in the middle of the tread.

If the outer edges wear off before the middle the the tyre is being supported on the sidewalls and is too flat...

You adjust accordingly until the line wears off evenly all the way across...

I *believe* you draw a chalk line across the tread, set your pressure and go for a drive.

If the middle of the line wears off first then the tyres are too heavily inflated and are bulging out in the middle of the tread.

If the outer edges wear off before the middle the the tyre is being supported on the sidewalls and is too flat...

You adjust accordingly until the line wears off evenly all the way across...

Yes, but no, you don't go for a drive - that would remove all the chalk.

Driving forward (or backwards) in a straight line for one or two wheel revolutions should be enough to tell you if the pressure is too high or too low.