Discoloured rear beraing cap

Varsas

Hi.

Just taken the main bearing cap off my 'new' engine to change the rear crank oil seal as part of general work to do those jobs that are easy to do with the engine out of the car.

There is some discolouring on the running face of the end cap, a friend said I should get it checked. You can't really feel the wear but you can see it...

I have no idea weather that is worn or not? Does it need replacing? Does it point to a more serious problem with the engine? The rest of it all looks quite clean.

Thanks again for any help.

post-22662-127705833787_thumb.jpg

Yes it should be replaced, it's the copper showing through the overlay where the crank has worn it as opposed to a discolouration. You can have the crank checked but I doubt it's anything serious. The rear bearing will normally wear faster than the rest as it has the weight of the flywheel pressing on it. Neither an expensive nor difficult task, worth checking your big ends at the same time it's best not to touch the bearing surface though as particles too small to see can get stuck to the bearing by grease which will speed up wear. Cheers, Barney.

That's worn through to the copper, so yes it could do with replacing, fortunately they are cheap and of course very easy to do, especially as you have the engine out of the truck at the moment.

If that's what the crank bearing looks like, I would change the big end bearings as well, they are cheap, and a 20 min job max on top of what you have already done.

Then, as the rest of the engine is in good shape, you shouldn't have to worry about bearing rumble for a good few years :)

Thanks for the advice. First time doing anything like this! I'll change the whole lot then; they don't seem expensive, that's a main bearing set then I assume.

There is some writing on the crank, it says:

M-STD

B-010

I assume that means it's been machined at some point, and those are the sizes? Does that mean I need standard or 010 oversize main bearings?

post-22662-127714663883_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice. First time doing anything like this! I'll change the whole lot then; they don't seem expensive, that's a main bearing set then I assume.

There is some writing on the crank, it says:

M-STD

B-010

I assume that means it's been machined at some point, and those are the sizes? Does that mean I need standard or 010 oversize main bearings?

that tells me the crankshafts main bearings are still at standard size & the big end [conecting rod] bearings have been reworked to 010thou of a inch undersize