transferbox

May sound stupid, Handbrake fitment is totaly different do I need to change all the defender cable, brackets to the disco box or will the disco set up work in the defender. The disco box is going onto an LT77

Sorry I don't think I asked correctly. I have a complete defender 1988 2.5l petrol+ LT77+Transfer box. I am changing this to a 300tdi with the LT77 and changing Transferboxes from defender to disco for higher ratio what I want to know is the handbrake set up on the defender is totaly different do I need to fit all brackets and cable to the disco box or can the disco set up be used in the defender.

When all is complete I will have a 2.5 petrol+disco (R380) gearbox+defender transferbox to get rid off

Jim, just change the brackets over from the defender T-box to the disco T-box the places they fit on to are slightly different but will fit as the casings on the T-boxes are exactly the same-If you want you can take a photo with a digital camera and use that as a reference for when you go to fit the brackets to the disco T-box

HTH

John

Thanks for info will be having a go today. If everything working Defender T-BOX will be ready to lose will PM when done and yes in full working order no problems

Was that directed at me or Retroanaconda? I'm still interested...

May sound stupid, Handbrake fitment is totaly different do I need to change all the defender cable, brackets to the disco box or will the disco set up work in the defender. The disco box is going onto an LT77

Hi Jim,

I had this problem in the past, when I tried to put the old handbrake braket in the new transfer box, I noticed that just two of the four threaded holes needed where there. I had two options:

1.- Dismantle everything, drill/tap two holes in the new transfer to accomodate the old brackets.

2.- Buy a new handbrake cable in order to use the new shoes mechanisms.

As you may imagine, I opted for option 2. Maybe these holes are done/drilled in your new transfer box, so you don't have to buy a new cable.

Carlos