Changing a 1991 ABS to standard breaks! – What is required?

Changing a 1991 ABS to standard breaks! – What is required?

The ABS is playing up on my Rangie and I want to change it to a non-ABS breaking system. The current system is a Wabco pump with not servo (combined master cylinder and servo?). It is a 1991 model Vogue SE Auto.

I currently have a 200Tdi Disco that I have for the engine. This is a manual and has standard breaks (not ABS!). Will this vehicle be able to supply all I need to change over? If it will, what will I need to take from it and replace on the Rangie. Remember, my Rangie is an Auto where the Disco is a manual.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards

Mick

THINK so, you will need-- master cylinder, servo,(somewhere to lake vacuum from)Possibly the front rear bias valve, T piece for rear axle and some re-plumbing of the feed to the rear axle pipe-work.

Have a good look at your Disco as that's what you want to replicate.

I've done the same swap with the same two vehicles. From the Disco you'll need the master cylinder and servo and the rear axle brake line T from the rear axle. Plus some other bits.

Process is:

Remove the ABS master cylinder and valve block, plus acumulator and ABS pump. Fit the Disco master cylinder and servo (direct bolt on).

You may need to re-plumb the brake lines into the master cylinder slightly.

One of the brake lines to the rear axle needs removing from the Rangie and the standard T on the rear axle of the disco needs fitting.

Finally you will need to make up a vacuum line to the brake servo from the inlet manifold.

I found that I didn't have enough servo assistance, I don't know if this was due to the servo ratio difference between petrol and diesel, or the difference in vacuum pressure. You should be able to solve this by sourcing a master cylinder and servo from a V8 disco or rangie.

I'm not sure where you live but a vehicle modification like this will probably take it out of compliance...so if you ever have to take it for a road worthy inspection in all likely hood it will fail.

I'm not sure where you live but a vehicle modification like this will probably take it out of compliance...so if you ever have to take it for a road worthy inspection in all likely hood it will fail.

In the UK the 1991 Range Rover was available with or without ABS, so if you use manufacturer's original components, then the conversion is type approved and therefore legal.

I had to strip out the electronic side of the ABS on mine to get rid of the now illuminated warning light. The MOT tester didn't raise any issues when it got to test day.