Discovery 3/4

bear

Hi Folks,

I have a Disco 1 200tdi and was looking to the future when I have to change it. I was wondering if anyone on the site have had dealings with the new Disco 3 and 4s (or are they to new for us "spannerers" to get our hands on yet!) Things like ease of servicing and known problems. Doesn't seem anything following a search on the forum.

Thanks in adavance. (And we all might learn something :D )

Have a look at Disco3.co.uk - loads of owners and enthusiasts there.

I'd LOVE a disco 3, and would probably swap the 110 for one if I got the right sort of offer :)

There was an article in LR-Oh a few months ago as well.....

Two words spring to mind: barge and pole

You have to take the body off to get the engine out and virtually everything on the vehicle is impossibly stupid and awkward to get at plus it is so complicated everything breaks - all the time - and you need a computer to fix most of it.

Get a late D2, much better bet.

Hi, Thanks to the info from SiWhite I had a look at the website and there seems to be no end of problems down to computer software. No hope of us "mortals" being able to maintain these beasts then.

Regards,

Bear

They are a total pile of sh-te,no end of trouble.I've decided not to take on any new customers with them and as a replacement fill in I'm doing stuff on E-type Jags and Cobra replicas etc. They are a diagnostic nightmare with parts prices and labour times to match.

• 2 weeks later...

I moved from a 300TDi D1 to the TDV6 D3 and its the best thing I ever did. Yes it has cost me a fortune in repairs but for every day use, towing and off roading it batters my D1. As they get older there are more people who are able to work on them, people are "cracking" the electrical and software issues surrounding servicing/ repairs. More and more accessories are coming out for them too - rock/tree sliders, sump guards, underbody protection etc.

Who cares if you need to take the body off to get the engine out? there are D3's out there with 300K miles on them and they are still going strong. Issues with body removal for turbo replacement and cambelt work have been solved meaning the jobs can be done without.

2nd hand parts are appearing too, and guides for servicing and repairs are popping up all the time on the D3 forum. I fixed my electronic parking brake in 20 minutes two nights ago, saved me a £200 trip to the dealer.

D1 owners griped when the TD5 came out - fact is, evolution has brought on a superior vehicle which although it has a few issues, it shouldn't put anyone off buying one. Best of all, it doesn't leak and it doesn't rot :D

My wife's farrier got a disco 4 just before christmas, he had it 4 days before it just stopped. She saw him the other day pull up in a nissan pick up got out and just said don't ask. After over six month landrover have not managed to fix his brand new car. he is still driving around in hire cars paid for by the dealer. He has said that it has put him of landrover for good if it ever comes back he is going to sell it straight off.

My wife's farrier got a disco 4 just before christmas, he had it 4 days before it just stopped. She saw him the other day pull up in a nissan pick up got out and just said don't ask. After over six month landrover have not managed to fix his brand new car. he is still driving around in hire cars paid for by the dealer. He has said that it has put him of landrover for good if it ever comes back he is going to sell it straight off.

Sounds like a good case for not fit for purpose if I ever heard one!

They are a total pile of sh-te,no end of trouble.I've decided not to take on any new customers with them and as a replacement fill in I'm doing stuff on E-type Jags and Cobra replicas etc. They are a diagnostic nightmare with parts prices and labour times to match.

:rofl:

There speaks the voice of somebody who works on them :D

Hi, Thanks to the info from SiWhite I had a look at the website and there seems to be no end of problems down to computer software. No hope of us "mortals" being able to maintain these beasts then.

Regards,

Bear

What would people think about Land Rovers in general from looking on this forum or any of the others? Forums are always full of people looking for help with problems.

As for home mechanics working on the car - routine servicing is no more difficult than any of the older vehicles, in some areas far easier; change of discs does not involve hub off for example.

Bogmonster is right with regards to engine out it is a body off job. It does not actually take that long to remove the body. I know it's a Sport - same process.

bodyoffsport.jpg

Once done it is all very easy to access.

Picture004-2.jpg

I'd agree with James, its more a fact that it is new to people and therefore you have to learn/evolve techniques again.

I have a D4 and love it.

Mark.