My 88 / 90

Gunny

• 4 weeks later...

Great News...The Beast is back on my drive.

The police have had my landy for over a month in their compound and they have been over her with a fine tooth comb.

NO part of her is nicked so they have given me the vehicle back....GREAT NEWS.

They did find some 3 series parts but most of it was 90 parts. Chassis is a 90 but now without a vrn number on it because someone ground it off that rebuilt it. Police tried to get a number off it but with no success.

DVLA have been told about the 2.5 td engine and now changed their records but she is classed as a 3 series 88 still.

The police have told me I can run the landy on the old reg number but I'm not sure what to do? I won't sell her for a long time.

Yes I could do without anymore c**p, because I haven't driven it since I bought her in June,but part of me thinks I should re register her as a 90 because it's running on 90 running gear.

Have any of you ever rebuilt a landy and re registered it on a Q plate. How long does it take to sort out?

Also on the DVLA vehicle enquiry page details have been changed to a 2.5td engine but when I try to insure it online, it still comes up as a 2.25 petrol when I put the reg details in.

Any ideas please.

Off to start removing all the old paint and prep the chassis ready for wax oil.

Cheers

Phil

Ebay is a nightmare for parts! There are so many pitfalls that you have to be aware of. Glad you have it back ok - lots of good advice to be had on here on how to proceed and get things correct so you feel you have a completely legal and legit motor.

My first inexperienced foray into actually working on my land rover involved an engine change. Got the engine from ebay, didnt know much about numbers and what to check etc, only to find the engine number had been removed! I felt rubbish about this. The police were very helpful really. Most of it was recorded here at the time

http://www.lro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20646&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

If the Police say you can run it as it is, I would get that in writing and any other supporting paperwork they could give you (inspection results/report etc.) and then do whatever they recommend. Trying to re-register it could land you back round the loop, or a different and worse loop, and no better off than when you started. A run-in with the DVLA could go very badly indeed.