Excellent news!!

Les Henson

I don't think it's entirely fair on the police to criticise them for not having the manpower to go after all of these. Like everyone, they have to prioritise - and I imagine they are fairly busy in these troubled times.

One moment we are complaining about the amount of resource devoted to car-crime (being too much) and then the next, too little?

I would go for one of the GSM trackers - just a mobile phone which you register with one of the phone networks tracking service. Vodafone has the highest positional accuracy at the moment (which appears not to be a feature of the number of masts). Costs next to nothing, just an old mobile, pay as you go sim and a car-charger permanently wired in.

If you have the keys, stealing it back will at least be easier!

Si

I don't think it's entirely fair on the police to criticise them for not having the manpower to go after all of these. Like everyone, they have to prioritise - and I imagine they are fairly busy in these troubled times.

One moment we are complaining about the amount of resource devoted to car-crime (being too much) and then the next, too little?

Si

agreed, but didn't realy appreciate being told that they basically were not interested in looking for it as they didn't have the manpower, even thuogh tracker network had given them a position report.....

.....just after i'd seen 3 of them, asleep in a vauxhall astra, hid up un the industrial estate that i work on, only hours after the car had gone....

...i'm going for the GSM tracker idea in my new car, at least if it goes, i can go and get it back myself...

...i'm going for the GSM tracker idea in my new car, at least if it goes, i can go and get it back myself...

Like Si says if you do go Vodaphone as it is way more accurate than the other operators but sadly still less accurate than you migth wish for.

PMR coupled to GPS is another option to consider.

Too much resources devoted to car crime? No, too much time spent on "detecting" traffic offences.

Surely looking for stolen cars fitted with trackers makes for an easy boost to the detection rate? And it inspires public confidence too.

Chris