200 TDi Rebuild? or Buy from Turners ?

keithjh

Hi All,

The 200 TDi in the Double Cab is getting a bit tired, so would you rebuild it or is it worth it to shell out for a short motor from turners or a engine rebuilding company?. Never having rebuilt a oil burner only V8s.

The actual work removing stripping down is not a problem, just considering the options before i make a start.

Any comments welcome

Regards Keith

Hi All,

The 200 TDi in the Double Cab is getting a bit tired, so would you rebuild it or is it worth it to shell out for a short motor from turners or a engine rebuilding company?. Never having rebuilt a oil burner only V8s.

The actual work removing stripping down is not a problem, just considering the options before i make a start.

Any comments welcome

Regards Keith

I would strip and rebuild it myself. Pretty much the same as any conventional piston engine.

Turners do top quality work, and if you aren't watching the pennies, it will save you time and grief.

If you have the time, you will save money doing it yourself. Don't forget you may need to spend more money on getting the injector pump and injectors serviced/overhauled, AND a short motor won't come with a cylinder head which may also require work.

Regards,

Diff

200TDi in the Double Cab is getting a bit tired

shouldn't be to tired, mine has in excess of 220,000 miles on it, head/turbo changed recently, but bottom end is still original, doesn't use any oil or water.

rebuild it yourself if you have time/resources/funds, with a Turner unit you will have their full warranty with it & a well built & reliable unit.

There is a lot of satisfaction in doing the job successfully yourself. If you feel that you are able to do the job, then go for it. Beware of your own limitations though, stripping an engine, getting someone else to rebore it, then you putting it back together is perfectly fine. Taking one apart any fool can do, putting it back together is the hard bit. You'll get plenty of help/info on here though, so it's unlikely you should have many problems.

Having said that, Turner engineering are the best, and anything they build is always top quality.

An added bonus is that if you do it yourself, you can paint the engine bits daft colours!

med_gallery_2_28_3623.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_227777.jpg

Les. :blink:

Guest diesel_jim
Did you carve that from a lump of Custard :lol:

Don't be daft.... it was from one of those illegally imported EU bananas that were too big!

Another vote for Turners having dealt with them in the past

Not cheap but the last Turner engine I ordered from someone was to replace a recon that had been done on the cheap and had assorted bits of valve embedded in the top of the pistons when stripped down...

You get what you pay for, and you don't get what you don't pay for :)