300TDI Auto Gearbox Dipstick

SPendrey

Hello,

I've noticed on a number of occasions that the auto gearbox fluid dipstick keeps coming out by itself, just popping up a bit out of its seat. Is this something to be concerned about? Pressure related? Or just a simple vibration thing?

To be honest it has done it for some time, and there's no signs of gearbox problems, so I'm not worried as such, just curious. Of course, if someone says "yeah, big problem", then I'll worry :)

Scott

Then as suggested I would look at the breather, pretty sure it comes up the back of the engine to a little loop, that looks like a shepherds crook.

Unbolt the other end from the box and give it a blow through  :ph34r:

Hi Scott.....

I am a retired mechanic and I will admit I do not know much of the land rover auto's.

But normally with any automatic if the dipstick pops out, this is because the breather on the top of the box is blocked,, as others here have said.

Another cause is the auto is a little over full of oil where it will foam up and blow off your dipstick.

I am beginning to sound romantic so just check the things mentioned above. :blush:

Regards Phil...