Price to have wheel bearing changed

My driver side front wheel has been squeaking, really high pitched for months, but over the last 3 weeks, it's progressed from just being on a right turn to the tiniest turn right on the wheel.

I think it's the bearing, but I've not jacked it up yet.

I've oiled the wheel and it doesn't seem to do anything.

No stones in the stone guard and not on the disc.

Any ideas?

genuine timken bearings are 7quid each + vat from Paddocks (you need two for each hub), you'll also need an inner oil seal (a few quid) and a new lock washer (a few pence).

Fitting is relatively streight forwards, i'd suggest its less than half an hours work for a garage to do, and its very easy to DIY.

'squeaking, really high pitched for months' 'over the last 3 weeks' 'but I've not jacked it up yet'

I think that a bit of prompt action should be applied when you get a noise such as this, it might be nothing but if it is the bearing and it were so sieze up you are looking at not just a bearing replacement (easy DIY job) but hub as well which while still being an easy DIY job is more time & expense as well as possible roadside recovery.

It could be the brakes (does it go away when you apply them?) but equally that could apply to the wheel-bearing as a load is applied it may shift angle slightly and stop the noise.

It could also be a UJ or similar.

Bearings tend to alter their noise depending on loading, so for example if you steer left you load up the right hand bearing more, and the noise will change. Steer the other way and you'll unload the bearing and it'll change again. If it doesnt change when cornering, it means its less likely to be the bearing.

time & expense as well as possible roadside recovery.

Not to mention the possiblity of a nasty accident if it locks up solid at 70 on the m-way :blink:

Get it looked at ASAP, if it does need changing, have a look at the other side and other axle as they may be not far behind needing replacing.

Oiled the wheel??? :unsure:

It's an easy job to yourself, you need a hub nut spanner (£15 ish) or very big adjustable spanner, or hammer & bolster. Parts should be ~£50 all in (off the top of my head) - bearings, seals, nuts, washers, spacers, oil/grease as required etc. etc. a competent LR mechanic should be able to do one in about an hour I reckon.

from my experiance i would only use timken bearings as well my local garage tryed to charge me 15 quid a bearing but paddocks are only 7 quid. it is an easy fix first job i done on a truck and was supprised at the ease of it. just take your time.

Yep, this was one of my first DIY jobs to the landy (no previous experiance) I followed this tech article from white90 Click ME

I did it very slowly and it took me a while but I was quite happy with it! and it cost so much less.

I would buy completly new bolts as the old have a habit of shearing off when putting them back in, also if one is failing you might want to do the others as well! I had three bearings fail or start fail in about four weeks so will be worth while doing the lot.

Only buy good quality wheel bearings-Timken are the best bet as they're really good quality and It's what I've used for many years now on my land rovers, Do not use the like's of S**tpart as they will fail and it's a false economy which will waste your precious beer tokens when they could be spent on something else

John