Storing a 300Tdi 110

I might be taking off for a year to go live in Europe for a year or so (currently in the United States)and am not sure that I will be able to ship the 110 over and back (not sure what cost/paperwork is involved). Looking into other options as I research this.

What is the best way to store the 110 while minimizing problems when I get back? I've never stored a vehicle before, so I don't know what is involved. I've read some previous posts regarding V8s and using Stabil for the gas in the tank, but since this is a Tdi, not sure on that front.

Any wisdom out there on this?

If it were me, I would just make sure all the levels were correct and full, also clean down the chassis and give it a coat of waxoyl, strip the carpets out and clean it all out and leave with a big pot of salt inside it. might even be worth popping it on axle stands to take the strain off the tyres.

Then when you get back change the engine oil and filter :)

Adam

Thanks for the replies and links so far.

Excuse my ignornace, but what is the pile of salt for? Will this keep mice away or is it to absorb moisture?

As for the state, I'm in Washington state, which is 9-10 months out of the year a 'wet' (rainy) climate. Depending on cost, I would much rather keep it stored in a covered enclosure.

Yes Salt will absorb the moisture, but to last a year you will need alot of it :)

Either that or bulk buy silica gel

All in all I doubt you will have any problems, it is only a year :) main thing is make sure nobody can steal it!!

Thanks for the replies and links so far.

Excuse my ignornace, but what is the pile of salt for? Will this keep mice away or is it to absorb moisture?

As for the state, I'm in Washington state, which is 9-10 months out of the year a 'wet' (rainy) climate. Depending on cost, I would much rather keep it stored in a covered enclosure.

Having travelled most of the western states in the US, inc washington, i seem to recall hundreds of storage units....... this would be the most suitable place i guess.......

I would simply put the vehicle on axle stands, having given it a damn good clean underneath, and disconnect the battery... the salt inside would indeed be to 'catch' the moisture....... on return i would change the fluids, and enjoy using it again,..... i have an old car in my garage, here in the uk, ie damp! and it doesn't deteriorate at-all...... i sometimes leave that months between running it, and all i do is reconnect the battery and away i go.....

Thanks all! Now to research where, how much, etc. Yeah, making sure someone doesn't steal it will be an interesting task too. I suppose I can only make it difficult:

removing the wheels while on jack stands (store at least two elsewhere)

MechLock is already installed

disconnect and remove battery (possibly store elsewhere)

disconnect starter solenoid

disconnect lift pump solenoid

I would recommend storing it with friends/relatives who can start it up once a week for you and let it run for a bit, otherwise you may start running into problems with FIP drive seals drying out etc... If you can't find a temperature or humidity controlled environment I'd give a mate the keys and let them use it, Land rovers seems to last better when used regularly than stored long term, IMHO

Mike