fitting radio in 1991 defender

hi all

now i have sorted out the new footwell and door seals i have lost the in car entertainment/ foot wash option and so fancy fitting a cd radio unit.

i can't see any obvious plug and play sockets that i can use so can anyone tell me best option

i ma thinking of just connecting to earth on battery and the from the in line fuse on +ve side with another in line to the radio with a few suppressors thrown in for good measure, then mounting unit under the dash lip above the ashtray speakers thin jobbies on the bulkhead behind the seats so they dont get kicked

any clever people with a better plan

thanks

If you look under the cover in the middle part of the dash just where you are going to fit the stereo you should find all the wires you need under there ,you will need a switched live and a permanent live and of course an earth then you could run the speaker wires down behind the fusebox cover and under the matting around the gearlever to the bulkhead behind the seats

Or you could do what I did and fit it to your cubby box if you have one-it'll keep it out of the way of prying eyes and saves making a mess of your dash top rail screwing self tappers into it

HTH

John

this is the later radio unit housing for the dash, needs the dashtop rail remove/refit to get it in the right place

AWR2277LOY the other option is this black radio install kit STC8059

my speakers are 1 in each end of the lower dash & 2 in the rear headliner, the speaker wiring runs along the dash 7 up each screen pillar to the respective speakers, power comes off the purple feed, with a another feed for the memory.

this photo shows my AWR2277LOY grey housing in place.

post-20-127998659056_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack but......

In my 90 the radio has stopped working, for a while now, when i looked behind the dash i notice that the white/orange is disconnected, however i can't reconnect it behind the dash as i can't see where too. Anyone know what type of cable i need, fuse rating, core size etc so i can buy some and connect direct to the correct fuse in the fuse box.

Thanks

Chris

Sorry for the thread hijack but......

In my 90 the radio has stopped working, for a while now, when i looked behind the dash i notice that the white/orange is disconnected, however i can't reconnect it behind the dash as i can't see where too. Anyone know what type of cable i need, fuse rating, core size etc so i can buy some and connect direct to the correct fuse in the fuse box.

Thanks

Chris

Is the white / orange on the car or on the radio? 8 amp wire is normally fine for this, 5A fuse. I don't think your vintage of car has a dedicated fuse for the radio as standard; if the radio already has one in the back then just take a feed off a purple wire, same fuse as the hazards / cigar lighter.

Is the white / orange on the car or on the radio? 8 amp wire is normally fine for this, 5A fuse. I don't think your vintage of car has a dedicated fuse for the radio as standard; if the radio already has one in the back then just take a feed off a purple wire, same fuse as the hazards / cigar lighter.

The white/orange is in the vehicle loom. I will now go buy some 8 amp wire!

Thanks!!