Gearboxes

my 110s gearbox has been a bit tired for some time now and this weekend the transfer box seems to have 'let go', I seem to have mislaid low range :unsure:

So I'm pondering what to do next.

1. Sell my kids and buy and new ashcroft gearbox/transfer box and have done it with.

2. Rebuild mine or buy some salvage ones and rebuild them and do a swap (me and a mate did our Discovery one a few years ago and it worked out at less than £100 to do all the R380 bearings/seals etc.

3. Buy an R380 and rebuild it as opposed to the LT77 I have now.

4. Something else (anyone mentioning Auto boxes will be shot).

Whats the lowest 1st gear option available as standard?

Will :)

I wouldnt want to waste any money on an LT77.

Unfortunately, having said that, using a stock R380 puts the engine in a completely different place, so you need to either spend a lot of money buying a stubby R380, or spend a lot of time/money/effort moving the engine.

Gear Ratios are here: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/gear_ratio.htm

I've caned the backside out of mine for the past ten years and its still functioning, reverse takes some persuation at times, but its done well I think.

Will :)

I agree - my last one lasted 20years. The later LT77 (suffix G onwards i think) are reputedly as strong as the R380. I beleive they both handle similar max torques (around 380nm...). Having said that the gear changes are supposed to be nicer on the R380 and you have the option to easily add an oil cooler if you require it. I now have an ashcroft LT77s and it is just fine, gear changes are nice, half the price of the stubby R380 (which wasnt readily available when i changed my box) and was a direct replacement for the old LT77.

The R380 is nicer, but it depends if it's nicer to the tune of buying a new one and/or moving the engine. I mean it doesn't bring car-like changes to the defender, 2nd still crunches when it's cold and is only a bit stronger.

Personally, I'd rebuild both boxes, or rebuild other ones and swap them, to minimise your time off the road.