No GVW on VIN or log book, so.......

ronnie_rotten

My post 2000 licence states I can tow a trailer up to 750 kg but not to exceed a GVW of 3500 kg, or some thing about that. I read this as: If i drive something that has a GVW of 3000 kg and tow and tow a 750 kg trailer, i'm gonna be in the doo doo.

I've got a great big pikey style Tabbert caravan (you know, with the gold trim and drop windows. I just need a whippet and a sence of the world owing me a free ride.....) that reads 1800 kg on the plate and a disco that i think weighs in at 2250 kg, but has no revenue weight on the VIN or log book.

Sooooo, 1800 + 0 = 1800. I know, I know, it's clutching at straws, and I know that your average schoolboy, let alone a traffic officer ain't gonna buy it for a second, but I also know that grey areas create strange situations. For example a mate of mine with a 5.5 tonne Bedford MK with no revenue weight on the book who's got away with a fairly obvious license infringement as a result.

Anyway, I'm interested in everyone's experiences and opinions.

Lucky my girlfriend has HGV 1 entitlement, but can she still tow a big van like that with a disco considering it's only got overrun brakes?

Hmmmm.... The mind boggles.....

A visit armed with chassis number & V5 to local LR dealer & ask if they can find the missing info for you should turn up the missing info.

from my RAVE info a 3door 300tdi has these weights

front axle maximum weight 1200kg

rear axle maximum weight 1650kg

Gross laden weight ------ 2720kg

Max gross train weight -- 6220 kg = vehicle gross weight laden + 3500kg laden trailer wieght

trailer unbraked 750kg

trailer overrun brakes 3500 kg

the above trailer weights are almost standard through the LR range of Defender,Discovery,RR.

obviously check these with a LR main dealer.

hth :D

Also,

I think your a little wrong on the trailer/licence thing.

Its a trailer up to 750kgs or to a maximum train weight of 3500kgs. My 90 was 2500 meaning I could tow a trailer of 1000kgs, but my 110 is plated at 3500 leaving me with a 750kgs only trailer.

it's a p reg 3 door no frills model. The vin plate has chassis number, paint number and the 3 places for weight, GVW, front axel and rear axel are unstamped, apart from 'kg' with no value. Strange? Me thinks so. Log book also pretty vacant of values....

My disco 1 VIN plate has no weight details either??

Hmmm, I'm thinking because Discovery & RR are classed as cars & not commercial vehicles [like Defenders] maybe LR decided the axle/gross/train weights were not required.

I would still find out from the nearest LR main dealer though

most people i know are pretty confused by the whole entitlement to tow sketch. i have been told that the 750kg limit didn't apply to caravans, only comercial trailers and the like. it seems a bit strange that land rover have left of numbers that important off of so many vin plates.