Bigger Rear brakes

birdy

Looking for a bit of help

Running fiddles brakes on my landrover winch truck and having problem with getting them to lock the back wheel. Whats the best rear caliper to go for? Its on range rover axles with 2 pots some people are saying go for 110 others are saying front disco ones?

Thanks for any help

Birdy

Putting front calipers on the rear will probably result in way too much rear bias and could lead to a very dangerous vehicle on the road. As Nige says, increasing the line pressure to what you have is probably what you want to concentrate on via either master cylinder bore or lever ratio

You need front brakes on the back. I've personally not done this, but have all the bits (bigger style defender 4 pots to fit, as well as front discs). You'll need some new brackets welded on for the caliper to mount. A quick moc up shows that the front disc will bolt on the rear ok. I've only stopped doing it, due to having bought mog axles :)

Standard rear brakes aren't really up for the job i don't think :( My fiddles don't really work properly with rear defender calipers.

As a comparison a 2 pot rear caliper of 41mm dia each have a surface area of 2642mm^2

a 2 pot caliper of 46mm dia (i.e. defender 110 rear) 3325mm^2

or a 4 pot disco / rrc front of 41 = 5284mm^2

4 pot of 46mm from defender = 6650mm^2

My plan is to run a bias valve to the rear as well so when the foot brake is pressed, then it's not too much to the back. (My mog axles will have same size brakes front n back)

G

The other thing i m looking at doing and i know this is a lot of work is running two remote servos on the fiddle brake outputs, found some on ebay ranging from 60 to 100 pounds. I know a lot of the boys running class one trials trucks in the awdc are running 4 pots on the back, but most are using home made fiddle brake levels with longer handles and they seem to lock up ok, but they are not running as big tyres as i have got (38.5) and i dont think this is helping. I have got milner levels the cnc ones, lots of us in our local club are having trouble with them..

Sticking front calipers on the rear will make the vehicle absolutely lethal to drive on the road.

The stock rear calipers are smaller for a reason, the bias is designed to allow all four wheels to transmit maximum braking effort to the road (weight transfer onto the front wheels occurs during braking, so the front end needs a lot more braking than the rear)

Running with front calipers on the back will undoubtedly mean you'll lock the rear wheels every time you press the pedal hard (and quite probably times when you press it not so hard too), and you'll end up embedded in a hedge somewhere.

If its just an offroad toy, and isnt road legal, then yeh its an option. If it sees any road use, then dont do it.

My plan is to run a bias valve to the rear as well so when the foot brake is pressed, then it's not too much to the back. (My mog axles will have same size brakes front n back)

G

Sticking front calipers on the rear will make the vehicle absolutely lethal to drive on the road.

The stock rear calipers are smaller for a reason, the bias is designed to allow all four wheels to transmit maximum braking effort to the road (weight transfer onto the front wheels occurs during braking, so the front end needs a lot more braking than the rear)

Running with front calipers on the back will undoubtedly mean you'll lock the rear wheels every time you press the pedal hard (and quite probably times when you press it not so hard too), and you'll end up embedded in a hedge somewhere.

If its just an offroad toy, and isnt road legal, then yeh its an option. If it sees any road use, then dont do it.