t-box and gearbox advice

hi everyone, i'm having an opportunity to buy a t-box lt230 and a gearbox lt77 together. it's coming off a 90 1992 200tdi.

my landy is a 90 td 1988 with lt77 and lt 230 on.

will the other one fit no problem?

i know my t-box got some backlash and the gearbox is quite ok, by that i mean that if i go from 4th to 3rd it will grind and also if i change gear to fast without letting the rev to come down it it grind on some gear!

but if im very careful i can try it without any grind.

another issue is that if i lift off or hit the accelerator to fast you can hear the clonk noise!

the box i am getting from the guy is not a recondition but he assure me that its perfectly smooth with any grind or backlash and also if within the first 3 months i can get a refund if anything goes wrong!!

do you think thats a good deal they whole lot will cost me 500euro.

so if i do buy it how hard is it to take mine off and put the over! i'll probably do the clutch as well.

any avice from the experince lads are more than wellcome

king regards

thierry

It's a hard job to to physically, as it involves moving large bits of metal around under a car. Doable though of course.

Don't be surprised if it doesn't solve your drivetrain clunking though. This can come from propshafts, diffs, half-shafts, drive flanges, work suspension bushes etc. as well as the gearboxes.

a little bit of play in all of the components can add up to a big clunk so it's best to try and eliminate these first, however a worn input shaft in the gearbox/transfer box is very likely, especially for the age of your gearbox and that too produces a big clunk but you can check for this first.

the input shaft connects to a gear in the transfer box and it is just behind the power take off plate (a round plate next to the transmision brake drum)

there are pictures of this and how to change it in the technical archive.

Do you know any history on the replacement box? e.g. I did buy a complete scrap 110 200Tdi in 2003 with 96.000 Miles and that box did have excessive main shaft wear. Only replaced it in 2007 but at that stage the splines were almost gone. I suggest to inspect the splines of both the input gear (LT230) and the main shaft (LT77) before buying the units.

Cheers

Marco

yeah the truck have been sitting for over 5 years in a garage he assure me that there's nothing wrong and gave me 3 month warranty.but i will check it first. what was the gear that i can replace behind the round plate :huh: ?

That's the input gear, my advice is to open up the rear cover, take out the gear and check if splines are OK

That's the input gear, my advice is to open up the rear cover, take out the gear and check if splines are OK

I would also check the splines on the output shaft of the gearbox, since that is the more difficult / costly part to replace.