Bf Goodrich Mud Terrain

Trevorevans

Hi Guys just looking for a little advice regarding tyres for my Discovery, I have been looking around at many makes from Toyo open country mt, Kumho kl71, maxxis buckshot mudders and also looked at remoulds, Insa Turbo and the like (not sure I trust remoulds) but keep coming back to the BF Goodrich MTs are they realy the best you can get or is there just a big hype surrounding them? I am told they will last 50k+ miles and if I chose to sell them in a years time they would still fetch good money secondhand (this seems to be true checking on sites like ebay). I am looking for tyres for green laning and maybe the odd pay and play, they will be removed and road tyres fitted for 90% of onroad driving, obviously they have to provide grip in the mud but I don't want to go around chewing the lanes up as I have been told the likes of grizzly claws and special track do. Any advice appreciated thanks.

Conditions here in Aus are much different to the UK, and on many of our remote hard tracks sidewall strength is of utmost importance.

In my experience cheap tyres will get you in a lot of trouble out there - I won't use them, but have seen other vehicles suffer multiple tyre failures on the same tracks. IMHO the best insurance against this is to use good quality LT (light truck) rated tyres - the difference in results are night and day. There are some expensive tyres (not LT rated) that do not compare well, but no cheap tyres that compare to the better quality tyres in this area.

I like the new BFG KM2 muddies as they are performing very well so far. Their side wall strength is good as is performance on and off road - IMHO better than previous BFG muddies. I have no experience with them in the smaller sizes for discos.

For the very hard, cross country trips, I have a set of 14 ply rating tyres that have steel belts and sidewalls - they are on split rims because they are too hard to change on tubeless rims. No good as mud or high traction tyres however.

If you are only putting them on for occassional use and not doing big road miles on them what's the point in having a tyre that lasts 50,000 miles?

Just my thinking, but you'll end up damaging them eventually and binning a tyre with 48,000miles of tread on it :ph34r:

You also don't need to "trust a remould" if you go for something like the Insa Turbo as they are very good. No worries with them and cheap if you rip one :)

Not sure I see the point in spending £500-£600 on tyres for off-road use that will spend most of their time stacked in the garage.

You could get a set of equally, or more capable Insa Turbos for half the price for example.

Just my 2p's worth, but I think mileage isn't an issue for your described use. Cost and ability would be my first concern.

I've got BFG muds and think they're great. I bought them second hand, and promised myself that I'd swap back to road tyres for day to day use and towing, and use the muds only on the needed occasions. Furthermore, it's all very well being 'out' and wishing you had the other tyres on!

I haven't been very good at keeping my promise. It's not a very exciting way to spend some time heaving the other set out of the garage and lifting the truck up 4 times plus humping the 20+ stone of mud tyre on steel rim up to the spare wheel carrier. sure if you're a tyre fitter and have a two post lift and plenty of space, no problems, but for me it just seems like grief.

Kev

You don't need anything more agressive than BFG MT pattern for laning. Anything Simex patterned will dig like a frightened mole unless you are very lightfooted.

I've used BFG tyres for over ten years now and never put a sidewall through on an MT, my wife did do one on an AT once but that was hitting a hedge at speed avoiding a coach (so she says).

Several folk whose judgement I trust use Buckshot Mudders, worth a punt I'd say for an occasional tyre.

I'd consider using an AT all the time and dropping the pressures offroad, you'll be amazed how good they are with a bit of air out of them and its always good to drive past someone who is stuck with MTs when you have ATs on ;)

Our old Discovery on 235/85x16 BFG ATs

SWY4.JPG

Will :)