Camper Conversion - Prototype Bed

Thats great Fridge. I like the idea of it being totally removable with the bolts.

When you see what i've done i've also gone for removable. I don't have the bar across the rear restricting access to the load area as those boards are supported side to side and the ones at the front are supported front to back providing an exact space for the fridge and the dining area/seating. The height of the platform also fits 8 sorege boxes under it and 4 tool chests. I'll set it up tomorrow and post some pics.

How did you get on with sleeping in there ? How long did you use it for ? Any lessons learnt ?

How did you get on with sleeping in there ? How long did you use it for ? Any lessons learnt ?

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=59627&view=findpost&p=520184 :rolleyes:

Gave it up as too obstructive, heavy and inconvenient in the end, something more like the hammock idea would be better as it folds away to nowt.

Photos

The rear cross member can be removed out of the U brackets with a little whack...

The entire front section are removable by un-doing a total of two bolts. The bolts are the seat belt mount ones at the front.

The fridge opens through the gap in the frame.

The area above the fridge will serve as a dining area. I will construct a fold up seat for the drivers side (for me) and she gets the 40% seat.

The area below the frame is big enough for two stacked boxes. We have 4 x 35 litre and 4 x 18 Liter on order.

The bed is 5 foot wide and 6 foot long. Standard double.

You get into bed from the side doors.

post-19188-073777200 1282668514_thumb.jpg

post-19188-047070200 1282668516_thumb.jpg

post-19188-007847200 1282668518_thumb.jpg

post-19188-041251700 1282668521_thumb.jpg

post-19188-092194900 1282668522_thumb.jpg

post-19188-059952000 1282668524_thumb.jpg

post-19188-018686200 1282668526_thumb.jpg

post-19188-054168700 1282668527_thumb.jpg

post-19188-000189200 1282668529_thumb.jpg

The boards will be stored in the middle section of the bed area to allow easy access to the fridge (not him,,but it) and also to the storage near the rear door during the day. They also slide ontop of each other with little effort. Will be a differnet story if we are actually in bed however. Fridge you can say i told you so eventually. ;) My easy sliding system is still on order and it will still need building and testing. Might have to get 4mm shaved off the boards for it to work....damn.

My intention is that the boards will also lock to the frame to provide security for the contents underneath whilst away from the vehicle. I'm still thinking about the way to lock them down as the initial idea is long shackle padlocks but thats a lot of money as we'd need quite a few. The other option is to find some way of linking the boards in the middle and only locking them at the edge. I'll come up with something with a bit of thought,,,and google.

My three weeks off work is actually harder work than working....:P and so the not hanging around. The intention was to finish it off to about 70%. My split charge kit arrives tomorrow and this will require a trip to VWP to get all sorts of other stuff. The storage boxes should also arrive before the weekend and the clutch is getting changed Thursday.

With any look next week we can go for a few days away. Not sure how we'll cover the windows yet......i'm sure nobody wants to see my ass pressed up against the sliding rear windows. I'm also presuming we don't breakdown 50 mile from home.

Instead of wood why not use something like the chicken-coop mesh flooring and simply attach a thin top layer, would cut a lot of weight and also waterproof and easy to stow on the roof over a couple pins.

Clutch done, split charge done (but not yet finished to perfection as i need to drill some large holes) and the Fridge is fixed in on its base and running. Hopefully we'll be in a campsite by Saturday.

As for the bed, we've seen a nice set of inflatable mattresses. Two singles but a bit thicker than our self inflating ones. Might give them a try as they are exaclty the right length and exactly half the width of the bed area. They will take no time to blow up and will pack to nothing when not needed. Better than foam etc. This is what shakedowns are for,,, or even mini shakedowns.

Did i mention i have a new ( second hand) headliner....:P 1/3 of it cleaned. 2/3 to go.

I was thinking that I could possibly do something like that where the flipped up bed was a grid/grate (like mentioned above) and would act as a window-grill while folded up, would need a 2nd hinged section to make it long enough to sleep on though. Having an internal cage would simplify things though, so much more to fasten things to.

I was thinking that I could possibly do something like that where the flipped up bed was a grid/grate (like mentioned above) and would act as a window-grill while folded up, would need a 2nd hinged section to make it long enough to sleep on though. Having an internal cage would simplify things though, so much more to fasten things to.

I considered the same. Using the bed as flip up security for the windows. It would work IMHO. Not sure how good you are with a notepad and a tape measure but i'm sure this could be designed. I considered it long and hard but eventually decided to go the way i did so never designed the flip up solution.

Now if i could only get my windows blacked out tomrrow morning i might not need to fix the window grills just yet........