300 exhaust manifold and turbo on disco 200

jad

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could give me more information on this mod. I have read that its possible and the same gasket is used. The exhaust from a 300 would be in the way of a standard 200 engine mount etc. Can anyone give me a bit more detail on what needs to be modified. I havent been able to find a decent write up of the modification.

One of the main aspects i was wondering about was the oil feed pipes. Im not exactly sure how they join? are they a screw thread? if so are they the same between the engines?

Your help on any aspect would be appreciated

Thanks

Jad

Thanks for the offer but im looking for info on changing the 200 manifold and turbo to a 300.

My dad has a 300 outside I can take a butchers at.

I looked at the 200 turbo earlier. The top oil hose for it is connected via a banjo bolt and i beleive the 300 one is as well which says to me that would be quite easy to swap over and i dont 'think' the bottom hoses could be too hard to adapt.

Has no one done this conversion?

or have any decent info on it?

Think I might have to source the bits and then have a look at the feasibility of it

cheers

James

I believe a 200Tdi exhaust manifold can be used on a 300Tdi - this can be a worthwhile mod to a 300Tdi as it allows a better turbo to be fitted to the 300Tdi.

So it should be possible to fit a 300Tdi exhaust manifold to a 200Tdi, but I can't think of a good reason why anyone would want to do it.

Unlike 300Tdi there are differences between the turbo position (high and low) on 200Tdi disco and defender. So this will probably affect oil lines, etc.

The oil feed and drain lines connect to the centre housing of a 300Tdi turbo with a banjo union (feed), and 2 bolt flange (drain).

post-62-008756900 1282427600_thumb.jpg

post-62-095055100 1282427619_thumb.jpg

Hi James,

i have this exact mod on my 200, you have to modify the engine mount to clear the exhaust down pipe, the oil feeds are a direct swap with no probs, the 300 turbo runs a lower boost pressure,

not a lot else to say really, gives better low down torque for hills and acceleration, fuel economy went up, noticeably, a good mod all round.

I'm putting a full width inter cooler on next and tuning the pump and boost to see what i can get, the other thing to think about is your air filter set up, I'm still not happy with the way i have mine set up, to much pipe work in the engine bay, your welcome to come and have a look, just drop me a pm,

all the best,

Bow..

• 5 months later...

I am in the middle of doing something very similar.

I shall know how I get on in a week or so.

My reasons for doing this are the fact I am using a 200tdi discovery engine and fitting it to a defender.

I should be able to use cheap std exhaust parts 300 tdi front pipe shortened slightly.

I shouldn't have issues with exhaust too close to the bulkhead.

I had a 300 tdi turbo and manifold kicking about as a part dismantled engine came with a scrap defender I bought a few years ago.

• 3 years later...