Metric Disco rear axle parts onto Imperial Rangy Case

Mo Murphy

A question for the axlely enlightened :)

Having mistakenly renovated an imperial Rangy rear axle case (I thought it was a disco case)I need to know if the narrower hubs and stub axles from a disco rear axle will bolt straight on. Particularly if the caliper brackets will be in the right place when using the narrower hubs relative to the disk.

I know I'll need Rangy calipers and that I'll have to change 4 of the studs on the case to suit the 24 spline diff I have and I'm pretty sure the disco half shafts should be OK.

If there's anything I need to know please tell away :)

Cheers in advance

Mo

Just recently been swapping bits around, agree with above, but the 24 spline half shafts I had wouldn't slide in. There is a fatter section on the 24 spline shafts about 6" from the hub end that wouldn't fit into the rangy case. Not sure what it does and whether grinding it down would cause problems.

Just recently been swapping bits around, agree with above, but the 24 spline half shafts I had wouldn't slide in. There is a fatter section on the 24 spline shafts about 6" from the hub end that wouldn't fit into the rangy case. Not sure what it does and whether grinding it down would cause problems.

Wrong stub axles chap!

Oil seal type half shafts can only be fitted to the correct stub axle. earlier stubs had an internal diameter to match the pathetic 10 spline shafts that passed through them. Later 10 spline ones onwards will take a 24 spline shaft, but another thing to watch out for is a front stub axle is machine differently internally to take an oil seal and needle roller bearing. This oil seal and its machined recess will foul the oil seal race on the halfshaft if used on a rear axle. Eventually it will friction weld to the halfshaft.

Steve

One other question, whilst I think of it :) The front axle on mine is a 10 spline example. I would like to put a 24 spline diff in when I dismantle it but retain the earlier cv set up. I've seen that conversion shafts are available, what number of splines do I need at the cv end ?

TIA

Mo