Overheated 3.9 engine

David Wright

This afternoon whilst out the engine (3.9 on gas) just died, loosing cylinder after cylinder until it came to a full stop. Upon inspection the upper water hose had split and all collant had been lost and no temp rise on the gauge.

My immediate reaction was that one or both head gaskets had gone(these are composite gaskets fitted some 3 years ago) after a compression test using a Gunson tester all 8 compressions were in the green indicating 105 -120 psi.

This suggests to me that the gaskets are OK is this likely to be the case? and if so where else should I start to look for the problem

yes it would.by adding oil to the bore and then doing the compression test you can tell if it needs a rebore or rings.the compression figures you quoted have increased after adding oil which indicates to maybe rings or rebore.

give the guys at "V8 Developments" a call and they should help you out.01775750000

i've used them for all my bits when i rebuilt my 3.9.

mine was still running with some of the cylinders under 50psi, she smoked a lot so i think the engine oil was helping to seal them :lol:

Maybe the hose was just weak? Or the pressure built up for another reason? I'd repair it and try it again before stripping the engine down. Just don't stand looking over the engine when you test it for the first time :o

Sounds like you may have got away with it, just to save any further confusion, compression tests should always be done HOT.

Have you had it running?

Maybe the split hose was just that, a split hose.... and the reason it stopped running was not an over heat, but the LPG vapouriser freezing up and not supplying any more fuel to the engine.

Fire it up and go drive, you got two chances  :ph34r:

Well I followed your advice and got it started with a new distributor cap and leads and it is running well so it seems that I have got away with it. I have of course discovered one of the built in safety features of the V8 in that if the top hose splits water pours over the distributor and shuts down the engine before it can overheat - now wasn't that a clever design!!

Thank you very much for all your help, advice and encouragement