discovery problems......

Hamish Grundy

Hi all,

About a month ago i bought an N reg discovery, drove it home and the clutch went, gearbox was noisy so i replaced the clutch and the gearbox, all that is fine now, but it seems to use alot of fuel, i put 50quids worth in the otherday and ive only done just over 200 miles on that. it seems to smoke a fair bit, especialy when you first pull off, and if i boot it it smokes alot, it pulls well through all gears. i replaced the diaphram on the pump as the shaft was worn where the ring sits, theres no obvious signs of where the diaphram should sit in the 'standard' position. any idea how i tell this?

also when i had the intercooler out it had alot of oil in, and in the inlet manifold, i cleaned all of that out and put it back together. every now and then it throws a bit of blue smoke out the back which i presume is oil, the oil is clearly coming from the engine breather, if i take the inlet pipe off at the turbo oil is present. my question is can i remove the breather pipe from the inlet pipe and blank if off on the inlet hose, and leave the breather where it is? and what is causing it?

its a 300tdi es manual with 193k on the clock.

many thanks,

hamish

£50 is a lot for 200 miles. mine uses about £35 to do the same distance.

The intercooler and pipes with oil in can be normal, as long as it's a fine coating, anything thicker than that could mean trouble.

it's possible your EGR valve is stuck, or even the cyclone breather on the side of the head is knackered, causing the smoking.

what conditions does the blue smoke appear under?

sounds like it could possibly be valve stem seals. as it's sat over night oil is weeping past them, and into the bores, where it's burnt the next morning.

does it do it if you leave it idling for a few minutes, then pull away? if so it could be the turbo seals on their way out.

yes i think it did earlier when i was sat at the lights, its hard to tell realy, bit of a mix of black and blue. ive taken the breather off air intake and blanked it off where it goes on to the turbo pipe. also when i rev it flat out a bit of smoke comes out of the egr valve?? is that right, my dads doesnt do it.

I blanked off the engine ol breather (radiator cap screw) and fitted a catch tank in line then fed the breather into the bottom of the airbox, where I dsometimes find oil condensate but not much.

If the piston rings have worn and you get blow-by then oil vapour will get blown along into the inlet, covering the turbo vanes with oil sludge and the inside of all thepipes and interooler plus the plenum and valves if you are unlucky.

I cleaned the turbo with WD40 and a toothrbush, fitted silicone hoses and a new bigger intercooler.

I've got a new cyclone ofr the engine oil breather but I need to put the car back together before I'll know if it was worth the £15 inc P&P.

from what Hamish is describing i would say its the turbo seals...

as it sound like I have the same(ish) symptoms, mpg seems ok on mine and my erg is blanked off. After redoing the head gasket (after some enthusiastic towing) the other weekend i found the normal amount of oil after the breather input... but after the turbo there was enough oil to drip out of the inlet pip to the intercooler..

it smokes nice and blue first thing in the morning because every thing is cold and also some times on overrun..

as you can get rebuild kits for these turbos (round 60 quid search Google for part number of the kit "Garrett 709143-0001") i was going to give it a good with a spare turbo.

hope this helps

paul

Worth doing, if the seals let go it could cost you an engine, if you can stop the truck when it happens. I heard of a guy driving an earth mover that suffered turbo failure and the engine "ran away". Rather than run away himelf as was common practice in the comany he tried to smother the engine with his donkey jacket.

It sucked his jacket inside the airbox :o

then blew up

Re the blue smoke in the morning I had a 300tdi D110 with the same problem - lot of blue smoke for first few hundred yards. It turned out to be 2 of the valve stem oil seals had slid from the top of the guides up to the top of the valve stems. It's probably possible to push them back down through the valve spring, but I discovered it when renewing the head gasket, and it's very easy to sort out then. Worth a look under the rocker cover - might need a strong light.

Nigel