300tdi penny washer

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHH !!!!!!! I can't believe it , I spent months preparing and looking at all the tutorials for replacing the cambelt on a 300tdi and there was no mention of a penny washer size stick on gasket for the timing belt tensioner bolt, to stop oil getting into the timing case.I've done 500 miles since changing mine when i looked through the wading plug on the front cover this morning and it was spotless. Has anyone changed their belt without renewing this washer and not had any oil leak from behind the tensioner ?

Was it not included in your cambelt kit? It should have been!

Yes it was ,i know, i should have asked ,it just seemed so.....well....useless,i'm kicking myself now.So it's gauranteed that oil is going to leak into the timing case ? all because i missed one little paper washer ? I really enjoy my def but this sort of thing is so landiesque.

"I spent months preparing and looking at all the tutorials for replacing the cambelt on a 300tdi"

I take it you didn't read the Difflock one then?

That is the one I used as the main guide when doing mine last year and they mentioned it.

"I spent months preparing and looking at all the tutorials for replacing the cambelt on a 300tdi"

I take it you didn't read the Difflock one then?

That is the one I used as the main guide when doing mine last year and they mentioned it.

I'm 99% sure that even the difflock tutorial doesen't mention it,I wanted to check but there's a 404 error on the page.I'm trying to figure out exacctly how oil can leak through from behind the tensioner.

If its not in the Difflock one then it is in the step by step guide I tore out of one of the magazines. All I know is I was aware of the washer before starting and the only three items of reference I had were the Difflock guide, the Haynes and the step by step guide (the latter two I didn't refer to while doing the job). As I recall the guide made a point about the washer saying that it is often overlooked (how correct they were).