P38 - EAS Fault

bill93bill

Hi,

Can anyone help with an EAS fault...

The other day on the way home from work my P38 (2000 Reg) went into hard Fault !!!! The suspension did not go down, so I was able to get home, it stayed up for a few days till I could get time to look at it.

On checking the system for the normal faults, all OK (Air leaks, etc).... but found the following –

The pump starts on start up and runs for 3-4 mins, then I get a ticking sound from below the valve or in the block, pump cuts out (warm/hot to the touch) and what sounds like a pressure relief valve blows off.

On starting up again, one mins later, the same again, but the pump only runs for 1-2 mins before the ticking starts again, the pump cuts out and the relief valve goes off.

I have checked the pressure sensor, when cold, tank empty, system closed – after running the pump 3-4 mins, system still closed, but I have pressure in the tank, (pressure unknown), Pump working well, with a strong air delivery (find it hard to keep finger over the end).

I tried to rise the Air suspension - Manually (Thought the top of the air dryer with a air line), but got no joy!!!! (would not rise).

Question –

1. I thought that if either the Temp or pressure sensor were not working the pump would not work on start up (only works if you jump it)? - Faultly pressure sensor.

2. What is that ticking sound I can hear from below the valve block or in the valve block? - I am thinking it could be a valve not working.....

Hoping someone out there can HELP !!!!!!!

Thanks all....

MikeAK,

I have the cable and the softwear (RSW-EAS Unlock), but can't get it to work on my P38. I do as it says, but get a hundred and one faults, but it won't clear/re-set anything (Waste of Money)I spoke to L&R the other day over this matter and to save wasteing any more money,I am going to go around to them (DOWN THE ROAD FROM ME)and get them to carry out the test (£80.00)Then I'll kown what I need to do next..... Repair or Springs......

Hi,

Did you have the ignition on when reading the faults? On my classic I had this, forgot to turn ignition on. The software communicates with the ECU but lists shed loads of faults, turn ingnition on and it worked perfectly.

Also are you using a "real" serial port on your PC or a USB adapter? Some of the USB adapters can be very fickle (with everything not just the eas software), I have found the ones using the FTDI chip to be the most reilable.

Mike

I have Rovacom and found similar problems with USB to serial adapters. My cable for the LPG will work with OMVL but not Romano systems too.

Anyhoo, if the system has logged a fualt but not collapsed then it's a "minor" fault such as one hight sensor, a road speed signal problem or such like. The system can run in a "limp" mode at standard height with little risk of damage.

Out of intersted can the systems other folks have mentioned be used to reprogram the EAS too? I have customised my settings using Rovacom (really useful) and you need to do this if you replace a sensor but it's not a cheap system.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all....

MikeAK,

I have the cable and the softwear (RSW-EAS Unlock), but can't get it to work on my P38. I do as it says, but get a hundred and one faults, but it won't clear/re-set anything (Waste of Money)I spoke to L&R the other day over this matter and to save wasteing any more money,I am going to go around to them (DOWN THE ROAD FROM ME)and get them to carry out the test (£80.00)Then I'll kown what I need to do next..... Repair or Springs......

It's unlikely to be the EASUnlock software - I've used it on a P38 and it worked perfectly. As said above, if you're using a USB to serial adaptor, try and get hold of a different one to try. I use one and have no problems with it, but many of them are not so great and there's no easy way to figure out which will work and which won't.