200tdi timing

Gromit

I'm replacing the timing belt on my 200tdi, and a good job too. There's a fair amount of oil coming from the crank oil seal.

I still have the old belt on and I've turned the crank until the woodruff key is at 12 oclock. The cam sprocket mark is 180 degrees out from where it should be, at about 2 oclock instead of 8.

How did this get timed like this?

I'll be taking the cam sprocket off to replace the oil seal. Can I refit it 180 degrees out, i.e in the correct position?

How should I proceed?

TIA!

In the words of HHGG, DON'T PANIC.

Turn the crank another 360 degrees. The cam and the fuel pump turn ONCE for every TWO turns of the crank - that is why the pulleys are different sizes. After you turn it again it will all allign. Trust me, there would be small bits of metal if the cam really was 180 deg out!

Chris

Guest diesel_jim

Just don't do what I did a few years back...

changing the belt on my 200, somehow i got distracted/bored and ended up fitting the belt with the FIP pulley 180 degrees out.....

the engine ran fine! had a slight knock to it, but power was all as it was before! until 6 months later when the crank split in 2 between 2 & 3 cylinder! obviously a lot of stress was being put on the crank! :blink:

changing the belt on my 200, somehow i got distracted/bored and ended up fitting the belt with the FIP pulley 180 degrees out.....

the engine ran fine! had a slight knock to it, but power was all as it was before! until 6 months later when the crank split in 2 between 2 & 3 cylinder! obviously a lot of stress was being put on the crank! :blink:

Correct me if I am wrong, but that would mean that the diesel was being injected at the top of the exhaust stroke... surely the engine could not run under such conditions?

Chris

Correct me if I am wrong, but that would mean that the diesel was being injected at the top of the exhaust stroke... surely the engine could not run under such conditions?

Chris

I'm with GMUD on this one; let's say the mixture was able to combust on the top of the exhaust stroke, the expanding hot gasses would be pushed out past the open inlet valve on the following induction stroke but very little fresh air would be drawn in. The engine would be very much down on power surely?

Guest diesel_jim

Chris

Well, the FIP was 180 degrees out in relation to the crank, so as the FIP spins at 1/2 crank speed, i assume it would only theoretically be 1/4 out in "real terms"?

i dunno, too drunk tired to think about it, all i know is that when the crank went snap, and i stripped it down, i found that the FIP pulley was out. :rolleyes: