auto box difference

robhybrid

I am running a Izusu coupled up to a v8 auto box,

I have got a chance of a dead 300tdi auto box.(a clutch gone? no forward gears)

mate of mine has just bought a relatively good condition disco to have the engine out of it.

would I benifit anything from chopping and changing components between the 2?

I am looking at using the end vehicle on the road over winter -next 6 months ish.

Is the stall speed on the 300 tdi torque converter different? to v8

Is the auto box Governor different is it interchangeable? my v8 one sometimes sticks in 1st before changing up.

If your V8 one sticks in first sometimes it is on it's way out, you may get 100  miles or 20,000 miles, but something isn't working as it should.... re-reading Ashcroft's site they site it as being the governor needing cleaning or replacing, though it sounds like you probably already know this.... an oil and filter change and governor clean may well fix it, but you are taking a chance.

The 300TDi box is definitely different with change points more suited to the diesels power band, the V8 would work as is, but not be ideal. The torque converter for the diesel box is smaller than the V8 IIRC too.

I believe the v8 spec autobox is far better suited to the power curve of the isuzu, i have an ashcroft recon v8 auto behind an isuzu in my hybrid and the power delivery and gear shift is very good, compared to a the 300auto it seems loads better, i've always found that 300auto's are very slow to takeup drive and feel missmatched on gear ratios and selection.