Defender Volt gauge

Hi all

I have a genuine volt gauage which I want to install in the 3rd hole in the instrument panel, the bulb holder is stright forward and obvious however neither of the 2 remaining spade connectors are labelled other than.

1. which is a female spade connector

2. which is a male spade connector

I'm assuming one will be earth/negative and the other a ignition live (white wire). I'd just rather get it right first time as opposed to trial and error (snack crackle fizz pop oowww it doesn't work anymore!!!!) :blink: .

Thanks in advance

Ian

Have you got a multimeter?

If so, check each terminal to see if one of the terminals is connected to the case of the gauge. If one is then that's the negative. If neither is then it won't matter which way round you connect them - the meter will just work backwards if you get it wrong.

If you don't have a multimeter then get one - you can't be considered a proper LandRover spanner wrangler without one!

Nick.

Many thanks for the help guys,

JBS, The only thing stamped on the case is a number 1 & 2 next to the responding spade terminal which is erm helpful !

Gyles, I think you have hit the nail on the head thankyou for taking the time to look.

Nick, Now you mention the multimeter a quick continuity test between case and terminals should I think tell me which one is earth/negative. My knowledge of multimeters is pretty basic they either beep for contiunity or show you the volts! By the looks of the dial it does many more things that I am yet to discover.

Thankyou Ralph being there as quick as lightening as ever.

Once again thankyou :)

Ian