TD5 lacking power and white smoke

Grant.

Hi all.

my td5 recently has been lacking a fair bit of power, throttle response is a bit poor, and smokes a little on hard power(white in colour), just feels very short on power and really starting to notice it with towing!

Not using any oil, and not using any coolant.

Also a bit of a bugger to start recently aswell, first thing in the morning is a pain, it gets better however through the day.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Grant

Grant,

Sounds like over fuelling and not enough air... white smoke is usually unburned fuel, most common cause of this with a diesel is likely to be lack of air so look for boost pipe leaks (all pipes post compressor to plenum), also check that the waste gate isn't stuck open leaking off the pressure. If still no joy it may also be worth checking the timing map is still there, if its injecting late then you will get the same effect. chances are that it wont be that as the 'default' would probably be 'safe', but definitely look for boost leaks!

Good Luck,

Mocha

MAF = mass air flow sensor...

my Td5 has poo throttle response and people told me to check it... but was never sure how. haha

Skotton, how do you do it, with the engie turned off, unplug it, turn on and it should be better... so can i just not have one?!

Pete

ps mine has no smoke though...

Pete,

If you take the MAF out permanently then the engine will be terrible at anything other than idle. The fuel maps rely on having the correct reading for the air flow to calculate boost pressure and vol eff. if it hasn't got a MAF signal then it runs on 'guessed' maps which are not always accurate. MAF sensors are inherently difficult to test correctly as it is hard to measure the mass of air being inducted to compare the MAF sensor figures to... do take it off and do see the change but don't drive in anger without one. The best, practical, way to see if MAF is faulty is to try another one! you can try cleaning the element with contact cleaner but have found this offen causes more problems... :)

Mocha

stumpy in an elf costume! :lol:

:hysterical::hysterical: :hysterical:

Sadly no, i keep putting off what i think it is, just went out there to move it, and lacked power and was a pain to start

Thinking it might be the fuel pump in the tank, as its had a new fuel regulator and cleaned up all the injectore recently. however i will put it onto a pressure gauge tomorrow and see whats what

is the EGR still on? you could try taking the vacuum hoses off to disable it and see if it makes any improvement..

how about the hoses from the intercooler? are they split? are they hard or soft when the engine is running.. why isnt the person with the degree asking these questions!..

in my opinion its better to run with the maf unplugged than with a faulty one just for the record.

Can't see the MAF causing white smoke!!!

Start with the basics, fuel filter and air filter, can you hear the pump in the tank running when ignition is turned on?? Before starting it make it run the fuel primming proceedure, How noisey is this? Do it now start better directly after doing the priming proceedure??

Andy

Andy is right, the Maf has nothing to do with white smoke, but I was operating on the pretense that its winter and we all get white smoke when starting ; )

yes, tis very true :)

its that type of smoke thinking about it....

However, doesnt explain the misfire and the black ploom when it misfires ( forgot to mention that! )

as soon as its been revved its absolutely fine! :unsure:

So does it only do this from a cold start then clear, or does it stay this way? I believe you said after a good boot it goes away?

Just a suggestion but if this is the case are one or more glow plugs faulty causing poor ignition from a cold :(

My MAF has been disabled last 6 months with no difference at all until it reach 3000 rpm.... there starts a lack of power......

Recently I had a problem with morning starts, but it results to be the batt connectors with serious corrosion (not visible, I had to take off the clamps in order to see it).....

White smoke? in TD5 is almost always a EGR concern...

EGR: Havent got one, went a long time ago!

White smoke: i s'pose was me being stupid with the weather and all, the miss however is still an annoyance, but it still feels a little gutless!! :huh:

MAF sensor: Had a new one about a year ago, plugged it in the other day, and it worked ok.

However.....

We noticed the other day when it was plugged in, that it is stuck in low range mode constantly, would that make a difference to the power? I know that it does to throttle response, and that is pants at the moment!! :P