Speedo not sitting at nought advice needed

I have replaced my rather tatty 1986 90's instrument pod/panel with another from a scrap yard and all seems ok however the speedometer reads 20mph without even being connected yet :unsure:

I have turned the drive manually with a small stick and the needle spins freely and will go to zero if you rotate the stick that way but flicks back to 20mph???

Is this right or is it knackered? Or does the speedo drive keep it at 0 ish when fitted?

I have replaced my rather tatty 1986 90's instrument pod/panel with another from a scrap yard and all seems ok however the speedometer reads 20mph without even being connected yet :unsure:

I have turned the drive manually with a small stick and the needle spins freely and will go to zero if you rotate the stick that way but flicks back to 20mph???

Is this right or is it knackered? Or does the speedo drive keep it at 0 ish when fitted?

Oh well never mind....Thanks for the info as ever.

Cheers

James

Update: I thought that was that £35 down the crouk without a poodle having bought it online from a breakers in Manchester (Broadbent autos) thinking that it would a be waste of time to contact them to tell them it didn’t work :( .

Anyway I decided to drop them an email...Well they couldn’t have been nicer they replied promptly and are sending me another in the post on Monday without any fuss or aggravation. So I can recommend their services fully and such nice folks :D .