clutch slave cylinder question

Hi all,

Clutch slave cylinder emptied it's guts all over the drive so will be doing that job in the snow this year - at least I'll be under the truck out of the snow!

Just got a quick question - been through the archive and the job looks simple enough. But, what holds the push rod in place when the cylinder is withdrawn? Just asking as I know there isn't any sort of retaining clip on the release arm as it wasn't there when I did the Tdi conversion, and from what I remember it was just the pressure of the cylinder holding the rod against the arm. I'm a bit worried that if I remove the slave cylinder the rod will disappear into the flywheel housing and I'll need to pull the gearbox/engine off!

any thoughts?

D.

There's supposed to be a plastic clip which holds the spherical end of the push rod into the operating fork. It's f**ng useless and you will be very lucky if it does it's job and holds the push rod in while you withdraw the cylinder. The clip is strong enough to allow the push rod to pull the fork off its mount but not strong enough to hold the push rod onto the fork as you pull it out of the rubber boot on the end of the cylinder, even with the rod greased using Mr Girling's best red rubber boot grease.

If you are very lucky, you may be able to separate the cylinder from the bell housing far enough to get a pair of long nosed pliers into the gap and grip the push rod before it pulls the fork off its mount and/or the clip out of the fork. If you never had a clip in the first place then you may be able to withdraw the slave cylinder and rod as one assembly without dislodging the operating fork from its mount.

Having had to take the engine out so I could re-mount the fork, I did this mod to mine:

med_gallery_22916_1114_34482.jpg

med_gallery_22916_1114_23174.jpg

med_gallery_22916_1114_81214.jpg

In retrospect, I should probably have just put it together without the clip, and Ralph will be along on a moment to tell me that I should have put a reinforcing on the socket as well, but right now I'm not going to go into the story of why I didn't do that.

Nick.

Thanks Nick/Western,

I'm going to pop out now and try my luck - hopefully the rod will come out with the cylinder and then pop straight back in again!?

It's worth a try as I'll have to split the box anyway if it doesn't work - Local main stealer has a cylinder in stock - don't fancy waiting a couple of days for a britpart one to find it fails in the next week!

D.

DON'T pull the rod out with the cylinder!

Undo the pipe & the 2 bolts and slowly pull the cylinder back until you can get the long-nose pliers in to hold the rod whilst you finish pulling the cylinder off altogether.

Refit the new cylinder making sure that you hold the rod in place in the fork.

Do it wrong, and you'll be taking the g/box out!