Diagnostics

mel

Hi All,

I've just had my 2004 TD5 Disco on a diagnostics m/c as i had the 3 amigos plus the handbrake/level light and an intermittant SRS light come up.

I'm told its the r/h rear hub for the usual culprits, ABS, TC, HDC and t.b.h. they want (and i think a reasonable) £250 to do it as the price of the hub varies between about £150 to £250 dep on O.E.M. or Britpart/Allmakes and then poss some others too.

I've read alot of threads about the sensors/hubs etc and hopefully tomorrow i'm gonna have a look and check the bearings etc just to make sure its nothing silly but ultimately i'm expecting to fork out for it to be done or buy the bits and do it myself as its not a big job, or doesn't appear to be which as we all know on here are famous last words !!

Anyway, thats the easier bit, what i'd like to know is about the SRS light as the garage said it could be the rotary coupler and again having read about it it doesn't seem too bad a job but i'm abit concerned as its an intermittant fault and was ok for most of weekend.

Has anyone experience of a similar fault and what did you find pls ?

Thank's,

Mark

Rotary Coupler - for what it is worth I have just changed one on my 1995 disco (SRS).

The original had to be removed when I replaced the interior heater matrix and it went back with no issues. I then had to straighten the steering wheel and at that point I think it got put back in incorrectly which gave me an SRS warning light. Also, the horn stopped working!

I have now replaced the coupler with a second hand one which has reinvigorated the horn, but I still have an SRS warning light. I assume that is just because it is recording a hard fault and I am too tight to pay the money to have it reset!

Anybody got the bit of kit I can borrow to plug in and reset the warning?

Cheers

Peter

Anyway, thats the easier bit, what i'd like to know is about the SRS light as the garage said it could be the rotary coupler and again having read about it it doesn't seem too bad a job but i'm abit concerned as its an intermittant fault and was ok for most of weekend.

Has anyone experience of a similar fault and what did you find pls ?

There are SRS connectors under the front seats.

With the ignition off, separate the connectors and spray liberally with wd40 etc. Connect and separate the connectors a couple of times to scrub the contacts.

I've seen this on a couple now, so worth checking.

The other thing i had was no cruise control either altho i don't use it alot as not a great fan and don't know if its coincidence or not but last week i checked the horn fuse and it'd blown so changed that and hey presto it worked again and then over the weekend on trip to Eastbourne the cruise control worked too !

My garage seemed to think the SRS, Horn and Cruise Control were related to the rotary coupling but at the moment i have an SRS light which comes and goes, a horn that works and a cruise which also seems to work altho i'm gonna try it again later to make sure.

Too much electrickery me thinks !!

Talking of diagnostic units, i was thinking of investing but am unsure as to which one as have read a few mixed reviews about Hawkeye.

Can anyone shed some light pls on any others and which if any they'd recommend or not pls ?

Saw cheap RAC ones @ £99.99 / £49.99 in Argos book last night whilst looking at Xmas pressies with kids, any views about these as for the money they're very good value if they work but that could be a big IF ?

Thank's,

Mark

Thanks for all the replies and advice so far but the plot thickens.........

Im confused as i've checked the Cruise control, horn and radio adjusters on the steering wheel and they all work ok with the SRS light on and off so i don't know if that rules out the rotary coupler or not ?

I managed to have a look today at the reason for the 3 Amigos(or in this case 4) warning lights being on and found that the R/H rear ABS sensor cable was actually broken, well actually it appeared to have been bitten as it had teeth marks on but thats another story !

I'd like to ask how the fault would actually have shown on the diagnostic m/c as the garage who did the check were very specific that it was the R/H rear hub bearings.

Would it be specific, i.e. in my case an ABS sensor fault or does it only give a generic R/H rear hub fault which would then be a starting point to check from ?

I did a temp repair while i was under there until i get a new cable but if my temp reair was ok should the lights have gone off or do they need re-setting anyway and would this also be the case when i fit the new cable ?

Im confused as i've checked the Cruise control, horn and radio adjusters on the steering wheel and they all work ok with the SRS light on and off so i don't know if that rules out the rotary coupler or not ?

With all the other functionality seemingly working i'd say it's unlikely to be the coupler, BUT as there are multiple copper tracks in the coiled ribbon it is possible that the airbag tracks alone are broken.

Did you check the SRS connectors under the seats?

I managed to have a look today at the reason for the 3 Amigos(or in this case 4) warning lights being on and found that the R/H rear ABS sensor cable was actually broken, well actually it appeared to have been bitten as it had teeth marks on but thats another story !

I'd like to ask how the fault would actually have shown on the diagnostic m/c as the garage who did the check were very specific that it was the R/H rear hub bearings.

Would it be specific, i.e. in my case an ABS sensor fault or does it only give a generic R/H rear hub fault which would then be a starting point to check from ?

The output from the diagnostics is reasonably specific in that it will identify which abs sensor is generating the fault and give an idea of the fault "low output", "intermittent", "electrical failure" etc.

I did a temp repair while i was under there until i get a new cable but if my temp reair was ok should the lights have gone off or do they need re-setting anyway and would this also be the case when i fit the new cable ?

The faults will need to be cleared before the lights extinguish.

Cheers Gadget,

Thats what i wasn't sure about as the fault was so obvious i didn't understand how the garage said, and i quote

"Read fault codes with ABS, T/C & HDC found right rear hub faulty requires replacement. SRS lampand cruise controlsystem non operativepossiblydue to rotary coupling link broken. Requires further investigation. Both rear side doors CDL not working possible wiring fault"

Then the good bit.... Total Labour Charge - £41.13

No i haven't checked the connector under the seat i'm gonna try and have a look at that today hopefully !

I though that was the case about having them reset.

I'm gonna post a topic about diagnostic kits as i'm still debating getting one as i'm now thinking that my Disco may be getting to that age where it may develop faults etc and it'd be handy cos i can't see the point of having to keep forking out for diagnostic checks and resets !

Thats what i wasn't sure about as the fault was so obvious i didn't understand how the garage said, and i quote

"Read fault codes with ABS, T/C & HDC found right rear hub faulty requires replacement. SRS lampand cruise controlsystem non operativepossiblydue to rotary coupling link broken. Requires further investigation. Both rear side doors CDL not working possible wiring fault"

Land Rover have a policy of changing the entire hub rather than just the sensor. Perhaps that is what they're following with regard to changing yours?

I'm gonna post a topic about diagnostic kits as i'm still debating getting one as i'm now thinking that my Disco may be getting to that age where it may develop faults etc and it'd be handy cos i can't see the point of having to keep forking out for diagnostic checks and resets !

There's usually someone close by with a nanocom/hawkeye/rovacom that will reset your ECUs for you.

Before I got my nanocom offering a local a beer or two to reset stuff with one of the above never failed :)

Reset Required!

OK then, is there anybody in the Wiltshire area, I'm in Trowbridge to be precise, that can have a go at resetting my SRS. It's a Disco 1 (no ECU, just the SRS) and ever since the rotary coupler failed I've had the fault light up and I'd really like it cleared if possible!

Beer tokens waiting!

Cheers

Peter