Kenlowe type fans/stat

mr_s

Hi,

I'm going to be fitting a kenlowe (or similar but cheaper!) adjustabl thermostat/fan to my RRC, what temperature should I set the fan to come on at? What's factory spec for the viscous fan to start working to it's full potential?

I'm sure once I've got a Haynes book I'll stop with the inane questions :rolleyes::lol:

Cheers, Martin

Having tried both on the same car 3.5 EFi LPG RRC(no, not at the same time!) - genuine twin Kenlowe & original factory fit viscous - I wouldn't bother again.

With the kenlowe's I noticed NO difference in fuel consumption and NO difference in warm-up from cold.

There was a reduction in noise from under the bonnet, but not noticable in the car.

Main advantage would be to anyone who frequently deep wades, you can turn the fan off & avoid throwing water over the engine.

Thanks for the info - I did do a search but couldn't find anything relating to the actual temperature to operate the fan at.

Had a look at the x-eng website and that did seem to answer the question - (fan on at 88, off at 83 or on at 92 and off at 87 deg c if anyone is searching in the future ;) ).

Paintman - yeah, I wasn't expecting much in the way of increased performance or economy, I mostly want it for wading, and for space under the bonnet!

Cheers, Martin

With the kenlowe's I noticed NO difference in fuel consumption and NO difference in warm-up from cold.

It still has to get its power from somewhere, and in the electric fans' case that's the alternator, so the engine will still be supplying it, just via a detour. If anything, I'd expect it to be less efficient, unless you have it turned off most of the time.