Muddy Truckers Trophy

Dave W

trophy_logo.jpg

March 3rd to March 6th 2011

The format and date for the 2011 Muddy Truckers has been decided on. There is just too much land available to do it justice in 2 days so we moved the start forward a tad as you will see.

Schedule:

Thursday 3rd - Baldersby St James

Signing on and scrutineering opens at 2pm

Night Section, 6pm start, should end by 9pm

Friday 4th - Helmsley

Competition starts at 9 am

Finishes at 5 pm

Travel to Duns either friday night or Saturday morning, trailers may be used and/or taken to Duns.

Saturday 5th - Duns

Competition starts at 9 am

Finishes at 5 pm

Sunday 6th - Duns

Competition starts at 8 am

Sites close 2 pm

Prize Giving 3 pm (ish) :)

Eligibility

As usual, the event is a team event with each team comprising two vehicles.

All makes and types of road legal light 4x4. Quads and similar are not eligible to enter. Which are Road taxed, tested where applicable, and insured for road use. All documentation will be checked at signing on.

Tyres no more aggressive than Simex (no Maxi Cross etc) and no bigger than 36" tall 13" wide.

All tyre sizes will be measured, not the sizings on the tyre wall. .

Portal axles, hydra steer, 4 wheel steering are not allowed.

Helmets are not compulsory but are recommended

Some form of minimal roll over protection is required for all vehicles. All vehicles to comply with MSA Road Legal Challenge vehicle regulations. In particular it should be noted that ground anchors must not be mounted on the front of the vehicle.

As usual all proceeds will go to nominated charities, these are yet to be decided on.

All drivers will need an MSA license (None-Race Clubmans) which you will need to obtain prior to the event. Navigators will require club membership for either Yorkshire Off Road Club, All Wheel Drive Club or Buxton and District LRC, you can join at signing on if you are not already a member of one of these clubs.

There is a limited entry, places will be allotted on a first come, first served basis so get your entry in early. Additionally, preference will be given to competitors that have fully complied with entry requirements, including supplying a picture of each vehicle in your team for use on the event web site.

Entry form and further information available on the event web site..

http://www.muddytruckers.co.uk/

Dave,

For those of us not in the know, could you elaborate on the format of the event - ie punches, stages, punch hunt (coordinates or pot luck) speed elements, etc, and also some indication of where in the country the sites are? I am presuming Yorkshire... ;)

Cheers

Mark

Where to start... !

I guess these days the MT could be seen as more of a "traditional challenge". It tries to incorporate as many different aspects as possible with GPS navigation, special tasks, special sections, speed sections and so on. In previous years it has also included things like compulsory camping and self sufficiency (carrying all your spares, camping gear, food and tools with you on the vehicle) although this year with it being a longer event it was decided to drop most of that for practical reasons.

This year's event includes 3 days and 1 night of competition. It starts in Baldersby St James (near Thirsk, North Yorkshire) on Thursday 3rd where paperwork is sorted out and then there is a night special task which will be against the clock but, if it's anything like last time, will require some mental agility too.

On Friday the competition will take place near Helmsley (North York Moors), Saturday and Sunday the competition will take place at sites near/around Duns (Borders)

The Muddy Truckers Trophy is an event that was created as a tribute to Steve and Wendy Maddison by Steve's team mates. The "Muddy Truckers" was a club founded by Steve and Wendy and the Trophy seemed like a suitable tribute to one of the best and well liked navigators of the challenge scene at that time. The stump hook that forms part of the trophy played a pivotal part in one of the many anecdotes told about, and by, Steve. It was first run in 2002 ( was supposed to be 2001 but Foot and Mouth put paid to that).

Every year it runs the MT passes all it's profits onto charity.

A couple of updates on the event.

The Muddy Truckers Trophy has always given all proceeds from the event to a nominated charity. A decision has now been made and this year's proceeds will go to Help For Heroes.

The entry list has started to be compiled and is available on the web site...

If you are not on the entry list and have sent in your entry form more than a week or so ago, please let me know. If you are listed and have no photo, please email a photo to the address on the web site. If you've sent a hard copy photo these will take longer to get onto the site as I have to go and collect them.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update and some clarification

There will be camping available for those that want to both at Baldersby and Duns. I think the camping at Baldersby is the same place as we camped last time. There's no camping available at Helmsley but there are plenty of Hotels/B&Bs for those that want to head up there on Thursday night.

Most (if not all) the teams are leaving their trailers at Baldersby until Friday night when they'll pick them up for the trip to Scotland then drop them off at the trailer park there.

I've updated the entry list, http://www.muddytruckers.co.uk/2011_entrylist.html as far as we know there are 3 teams in the process of sorting out entry forms so there's still a couple of team places left. If the event is oversubscribed additional teams will be put on the reserve list and a decision will be taken on wether it is practical to increase the entry with the layout of sections, punches etc...

Obviously cheques will not be banked for those on the reserve list unless an entry is offered and accepted.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another update with only a few more weeks left to go, now is the time to get your entry in while there are still a couple of places left. I should be posting an updated entry list shortly... once it gets to me !

Entry forms available for download from the MT web site...

Been talking to Patrick tonight and it really does sound like this year's MT will be an excellent event, makes me glad I've entered !

I've been given a bit of an insight into what the boys have been up to and what we as competitors can expect over the 3 and a bit days. This is a "traditional" challenge event so, as always, expect the unexpected and never assume anything !

In summary though, the basic outline of the event goes something like this...

Thursday night's competition will comprise of a single special task and you'll be against the clock to complete a short course. The course may or may not involve winching - Patrick wouldn't tell me if the "may" means "if you mess it up you'll need to winch" or "everyone except Jim will need to winch, Jim being a driving god and all".

There will be a catering van (fish and chips) on site on Thursday evening so that should make it easier to sort out evening meals while the competition is running.

Friday at Helmsley will be more of a punch and navigation event. Most of the punches will be "easy" to get to and successfully collecting a group of punches will give you access to one of the special tasks. You'll get a set of punches, return to control, get another set of punches and a token for a special task. Anyone who's competed in the Bulldog events will find the format familiar. Patrick also let slip that it would probably be worth either dusting off your Terratrip or learning how to reset the trip meter on your gps although he also said you could probably be OK with your speedo if it bears any resemblance to reality.

Details of each team's starting site on Saturday and location of trailer parking for Duns will be given either at the driver's briefing on Friday morning or when you leave Helmsley.

Saturday and Sunday will be spread across 4 large sites at least 2 of which have not been used before. Each site has more than enough to keep you occupied for the best part of the day so it's going to be up to you to decide how long you spend at each site before moving on. Each site offers different challenges and terrain. As usual, time management and team decisions are going to make a big difference. It's anticipated that the top teams will complete less than 80% of the available tasks and punches... gauntlet well and truly thrown down there then Simon ! :)

From what I can gather the terrain is going to be a real mix of bog, woodland and open moorland depending on which site you are on. Each site will offer it's own mix with some being about navigation, some will involve technical winching and others will require a bit of lateral thinking. One site has been described as "awe inspiring" and "the sort of place you've only seen in movies", I was also advised to wear my wellies... not sure if that was down to the terrain or the sheep though.

It's all sounding really good, can't wait for it as am co-driving for Robbie Birket. He is currently putting the finishing touches to his recently tray backed TD5, pictures should be up on 4muddyfeet. Whereas I just need to get my GPS working properly now or learn how to use his, oh and maybe the odd bit of fitness between now and then! May see some of you there.

Cheers

Jon

:(:wooyay

Morning All.

Is anyone out there looking for a team mate for the Muddy Truckers, we are ok but we have a man with a fully kitted out 90 and who finished 8th at the Phoenix challenge (only his 3rd or 4th event) who is looking for a team mate.... pay for your part of the entry and any associated cost's...

any further information please give me a shout....

cheers

Andy

Not long to go now !

There is still room for a couple more teams on the entry list, if you're wavering over entering and have any concerns/questions about the event or the regs... PM me or ask away here.

It'll be another 2 years before the next one.

Not long now, really looking forward to it but not having done it before are there any pointers you can give me?

Are there any O/S maps we will need & if so which ones?

We are camping..is there any food/beer outlets near the camping sites?

Any info would be appreciated!

Many thanks Paul

As far as I am aware you shouldn't need any maps but having a map of the Duns area might be of use for when you are moving between the sites and probably a road map. Any maps you need of the sites will normally be supplied to you on the day or in the pack. I'll double check though.

There will be a food van on site on Thursday night, Friday night I expect most teams will be stopping for something on the way up. There are plenty of places in Duns for beer and food, not sure yet exactly where the camping is going to be... one site is in easy walking distance of Duns centre, the other is a bit of a trek away.

I'll see if I can find out any more detailed info but there are quite a few people camping by the sounds of it including marshals.

I've updated the entry list...

http://www.muddytruckers.co.uk/2011_entrylist.html

We just need to fill that final place and having at least one reserve would be good too (if we end up with 16 entries and nobody does drop out we'll probably run with all 16 anyway).

In 2009, the last time the MT ran, we raised £4000 for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance. At this year's event we've managed to reduce running costs a bit further and, as a result, it's looking likely that at least £150 of the £175 entry fee will be going to charity. If we get a full entry then we'll be on target to donating a minimum of £4500 to charity at the end of the event.

• 2 weeks later...

Well what can I say a cracking event. Best one I have ever done, nice change from the usual dragging the car on the end of a winch line all the time. Good range of navigation, speed sections and punches. Topped off with coming 3rd after devon and tony baskerville.

Thank you to all those involved in making it such a good event, the marshalls and organisers especially as it must have taken an incredible amount to get it all sorted.

Plus over £4.5k raised for charity.

Cheers

Jon