Naïve question about V5s

Shant

I don't like grey areas........I'll just buy a new chassis and have the old one taken for scrap. I'm a surgeon, so, if it is something even vaguely illegal and you get prosecuted, you face a GMC hearing for fitness to practice medicine.....so, I'll avoid using the old chassis!

I have to thank all of you for the advice on that....it is very much appreciated, and something that I wouldn't have ever thought about.

If the galv chassis under the parts vehicle has no chassis number stamped on it, then whats the problem with stamping the number of the rotten chassis on it and destroying the rotten chassis. Result one 'new' galv chassis with a serial number that matches the daily drive.

If the galv chassis under the parts vehicle has no chassis number stamped on it, then whats the problem with stamping the number of the rotten chassis on it and destroying the rotten chassis. Result one 'new' galv chassis with a serial number that matches the daily drive.

That is indeed correct, the only issue would be if asked to prove the origin of the new chassis by the authorities. Usually you would require an invoice from Richards/Marsland etc. in order to prove that it was indeed a brand new replacement unit and not from another vehicle.

even if the rebuilt vehicles are going in to USA, what you've posted above sounds very suspect.

It sounds illegal to me! However, I don't know anything about these things, and am only going on what has been said before.

A pre 1987 V5 is worth about 2000 pounds if converted to a dutch versions V5, which is something people do with non legit breaker 110's RHD without a V5 that are floating in Holland because road tax is about 1500 Euro a year for a landy and with a pre 1987 registration it free.

So probably the guy trying to buy it has a deal with a non legit dutch guy.

This is the reason even very bad pre '87 110 stawag still go for silly money on ebay to be exported to Holland. I know guys that will pick up several every month in the UK because of large demands. Off course this is all legal, but doing the V5 trick isn't.

Regards Bowy