Defender 200 Power steering pulley

Afternoon chaps.

Spot of bother getting the power steering pump pulley lined up with the crankshaft pulley.

A bit of background first so that you have the full story.

This is a Disco/RRC 200 Tdi that has been converted to Defender spec. On the front is the defender timing chest assy and the Defender crankshaft 3 pulley assy.

The power steering pump is the original one that was on the engine in it's disco spec and has a double pulley bolted to the front. I've modified the casing so that the low pressure inlet is at the back rather than sticking out the side.

The pump is bolted to a Defender adjusting plate which is in turn bolted to the pukka Defender power steering/alternator bracket bolted to the block. :)

The problem is that the crankshaft pulley and the power steering pulley don't line up, the PS pulley being about 5mm too deep on the PS pump shaft. The centre of the V is about 34mm from the front face of the adjusting plate. :unsure:

My question is that is this just a pulley problem that can be resolved with a Defender single pulley or is there some deeper difference with the discovery PS pump and if it is, is there a way round it ?

Your thoughts, Gentlemen, would be most welcome.

TIA

Mo

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

possibly the Defender PAS pump's NTC9070 & NTC8287 have a slightly longer nose than the Disco PAS pump NTC8288, &/or the attachment bracket/adjuster plates sit in a slightly different place.

with 5mm longer bolts you could have a 5mm thick spacer made & fit it between the PAS shaft & pulley faces to get the pullies o align.

or spend more cash to change the PAS pump & hoses to Def 200Tdi item.

far as microcat shows Defender PAS pumps have a triabgular pulley boss, whereas Disco PAS pump has a circular boss.possibly the Disco boss is a bit thinner front to back too.

there's a PAS pump comparison thread in our tech archive ith photo's of the various pumps/part numbers.

Sorry I should have mentioned that !

The spacer is there from an earlier experiment to use the other pulley Ralph, ignore it, it's not there now :)

Looking at the 200 pump rebuild thread in the tech archive, it appears that the flange can be pulled off the shaft with a puller. I wonder if it would be feasible just to draw the flange along the shaft ?

Mo

The spacer is there from an earlier experiment to use the other pulley Ralph, ignore it, it's not there now :)

Looking at the 200 pump rebuild thread in the tech archive, it appears that the flange can be pulled off the shaft with a puller. I wonder if it would be feasible just to draw the flange along the shaft ?

Mo

Ok, was just a thought, reckon it's the pump nose/shaft length thats different then.

Well, M8 nuts between the pulley and the flange put it in the right place. My flange is pressed further onto the shaft than yours is James, so I'll pop out tomorrow and buy a puller and have a go at pulling the flange closer to the end.

Mo

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I didn't do it tomorrow but I got round to doing it tonight :)

I've pulled the flange to the edge of the chamfer at the end of the shaft and the pulley now lines up with the crank pulley :)

Splendid ! Now to see if my soldering is ATF tight :)

Cheers to all for your help :i-m_so_happy:

Mo