battery terminals are smoking

hi all iv bought a optima red top battery to put on my project vehicle. its a td5 defender . i came to start it up for the first time and the terminals started smoking and the engine struggled starting as if it wasnt getting enough power to crank over. all the wiring has been set up right and the battery was full charged the night before and the wiring is all new as well. anyone have any clues as to what could cause this?

cheers all

chris

Are the terminals clean?

If all is (mostly) well, it could just be that the clamp/post joint is dirty or not tight, and therefore high resistance, causing poor performance, and heat.

Worst case scenario is you've got a pretty bad short and most of the battery's current is busy trying to set it, or you landrover, on fire, and there's no oomph left to start the engine.

Are the terminals clean?

If all is (mostly) well, it could just be that the clamp/post joint is dirty or not tight, and therefore high resistance, causing poor performance, and heat.

Worst case scenario is you've got a pretty bad short and most of the battery's current is busy trying to set it, or you landrover, on fire, and there's no oomph left to start the engine.

if it was a bad short what wud i have t do?

cheers

chris

Have you changed any of the wiring or was it a case of removing one battery and fitting the new one?

If the wiring is the same then it sounds like a problem with the connection to the battery terminals (i.e. connections not tight or poor contact due to dirt etc) but if you have made changes to the wiring then you need to check it all out to see if there is a problem.

all the wiring has been set up right ... and the wiring is all new as well. anyone have any clues

My vote is that your statement about the wiring is not 100% factually accurate, is it all factory or DIY? Has the vehicle worked previously on a different battery with the existing loom?

hi yes it has worked its from a 2006 defender

What, it worked while on the 2006 Defender or it has worked since you put it onto your vehicle????? If it is the former then there is still the distinct chance of a wiring fault.

Have you checked the battery connections yet?

What, it worked while on the 2006 Defender or it has worked since you put it onto your vehicle????? If it is the former then there is still the distinct chance of a wiring fault.

Have you checked the battery connections yet?

hi ye the loom worked before and the battery doesnt smoke anymore. my problem now is that theres not enough power to turn the engine over . its starts to turns over then struggles.. the battery is full charged as well. iv earthed the battery to the transfer box . and the live wire to the starter motor. theres also a lead to go to the fuse box.

any ideas?????

cheers