Repaired galvanised bulkhead or new.

Frax

I am going to replace the bulkhead and am just looking at peoples recommendations – do I spend my hard earned on a repaired galvanised bulkhead or do I buy a new one, there is not much of a price difference. All experiences and recommendations welcome.

Frax <_<

Nothing like galv for longevity, I have a four-year old Td5 bulkhead in the workshop (waiting to go on the 110) and it's already going rust at the top corners and pillar feet. There have been worries in the past re. galvanising bulkheads and distortion, but if you bolt some steel to it to maintain critical dimensions it should be ok. Plenty of people have done it, anyhow.

For ease of fitting, I'd be tempted to go for one of the re-built galved ones, but only if I could be sure of the quality of workmanship involved with the re-build. You don't want weld seams everywhere fore example.A brand new one would obviously be rust free, but you might have to change a few things here or there with regard to fitting the dash (wiper mounts etc. depending on age of new bulkhead). Nothing major though.

Well I wish I could afford both – new and galvanised but sadly I am not a lucky person and can’t remember the last time I had a £10 on the Lottery. Have any of you used Ashtree and if so what is the quality of the items supplied. That is the way I was planning on going but at the price I would like to know how good the end products when it is delivered to the door..........

Frax :huh:

You say you can afford new or repaired/galvanised but not both, why not?

Galvanising is actually quite a cheap operation and a bulkhead comes in at about £50-£60 so I can't see the problem when it will make a serious amount of difference to how long it will last.

Well as you say I might just have to do it, can anyone tell me what braces I would need to fit as I don’t want to wreck a new bulkhead and I don’t know if my local galvanisers will have done one before.

Frax ;)

I'm planning for my 110's new (2006 Td5) bulkhead to make a rectangle out of box section, with one side of it bolted to the chassis mount points, and then triangulation within the square. Will also brace up to the top corners somehow, to stop the rectangle moving in that plane.

This should stop the chassis mounting points twisting in relation to each other, or the width of them changing.

I had an Ashtree galv bulkhead fitted to my 300tdi last summer. I used a guy called Paul who has his workshop next door to Richards chassis, to fit it along with a Richards galv chassis. So I cant comment on how easy it was to fit etc.

Ashtree arent cheap, but they provided great service, spraying it to the colour of my choice before delivering. If you can afford it, I highly recommend them both.