That Pesky Orange Light...

Hi guys, engine management light ? first one on the left(in a Td5) glows orange upon start up then goes out...Well with a mind of its own decides to come on and engine dies, miss fires but mostly re-fires in transit(very embarrassing and highly dangerous at 60 mph) and occasionally stopping or stopped at traffic lights..Upon investigation and enquiries this problem was initially solved by renewing the yellow relay (the one on the left beside the main fuse board under the drivers seat) as this one could be heard clicking in and out at the same time the engine dies....I say initially solved cos its doing it again now and with alarming regularity....Anyone experiance the likes of this before and/or any solutions..Thanks Mike

What age is the motor? could be a faulty injector wiring loom???????
Its a 2001 and yes your right i did have trouble with the injector loom, as discussed on this forum ealier in the year. The solution at the time was 1. Replace the loom with a newer type that was "supposed" to prevent oil leaking into the loom, and due to the replies from members this method didnt work that well either or 2. Seal up the injector loom harness as it exits the rocker cover.. opted for method 2 as the initial trial as opposed to handing Irish Landrover dealers €256 & Vat, only to have the problem re-occur....So what to do...eh. Bite the bullet and fork out and take a chance or has anybody discovered another remedy...Heres hoping...Mike

256 euros for an injector harness? They are having a laff, they should cost about £40 and you can fit it yourself with a couple of sockets and no more than an hour's labour, the harness doesn't need anything fancy to fit only if you change injectors or ECU. But the injector harness misfire is usually absent when cold, then gets worse when hot and stays worse, all the ones I can recall seeing are quite predictable like that, once it starts to fart and jump around it stays farting and jumping, doesn't come and go while driving.

It could be a dud ECU, they do go pop, though mostly only the very early ones 99/00 sort of vintage.

It could also be a problem with the crank sensor, as if the ECU loses the engine speed/position signal it will have a panic attack :)

Really you need to know what fault codes are logged otherwise you are a bit in the dark with tracing it. I don't know what a dealer would charge to give you a fault code check but it only takes 5 minutes to do so should not be too pricey? Doesn't need to be a main dealer, could be done by an independent with Autologic or similar kit.

256 euros for an injector harness? They are having a laff, they should cost about £40 and you can fit it yourself with a couple of sockets and no more than an hour's labour, the harness doesn't need anything fancy to fit only if you change injectors or ECU. But the injector harness misfire is usually absent when cold, then gets worse when hot and stays worse, all the ones I can recall seeing are quite predictable like that, once it starts to fart and jump around it stays farting and jumping, doesn't come and go while driving.

It could be a dud ECU, they do go pop, though mostly only the very early ones 99/00 sort of vintage.

It could also be a problem with the crank sensor, as if the ECU loses the engine speed/position signal it will have a panic attack :)

Really you need to know what fault codes are logged otherwise you are a bit in the dark with tracing it. I don't know what a dealer would charge to give you a fault code check but it only takes 5 minutes to do so should not be too pricey? Doesn't need to be a main dealer, could be done by an independent with Autologic or similar kit.

Thanks BM i'l get that done..Makes sense as you have stated it cud be any number of things wrong. Always knew we were being ripped off over here when it comes to genuine parts....B&%t£ds...

Always knew we were being ripped off over here when it comes to genuine parts....B&%t£ds...

Don't start me. I've only been buying gaskets and other teeny things from my local dealer. Anything else I either wait for it on ebay, if I can, or get it from the UK online sellers, if they have it.

Astounds me the prices they charge and get away with here. :angry2:

Don't start me. I've only been buying gaskets and other teeny things from my local dealer. Anything else I either wait for it on ebay, if I can, or get it from the UK online sellers, if they have it.

Astounds me the prices they charge and get away with here. :angry2:

Hi Grommit...and welcome back to CLRI....